The POWER and PowerPC General Discussion / News Thread

Still not entirely sure what you are describing, but best of luck regardless!

POWER10 modules potentially larger than LaGrange?

Looking at a POWER10 promotional video, I noticed at 3:21 in the video there is a shot of two differently sized chips with a gap of two rows of pins in the centre; I previously referred to this as a doughnut shape. My preliminary guess is that one of these is a Monza/LaGrange size and the other is a potentially larger POWER10 module.

2 Likes

Nice to see a lot of POWER fans at the same place! @FaunCB , @torpcoms and others: Tomorrow, 4th Feb at 3PM GMT on behalf of 3mdeb company, I invite you to talk about the POWER9 support in coreboot opensource BIOS here ā†’ " meet [dot] google [dot] com/xsy-ocfw-exm ". You are going to learn:
1) great benefits a coreboot will deliver to POWER-based PCs;
2) our progress and interesting challenges we are facing;
3) unique features of Dasharo coreboot-based firmware.

Also, soon we are having a vBeer online party! Will be happy to discuss the open/libre firmwares (coreboot, Dasharo, etc.), related hardwares and other nice embedded things you have in mind. Visit " live [dot] evenea [dot] com/3mdeb-vbeer " at 18th Feb 3PM GMT to have some fun with us.

2 Likes

^ @wendell , @q66 ?

1 Like

Who the hell is mike baton and why is he pmā€™ing my dead account lol

Also the what

Edit:. Iā€™ll see what I can do.

-Aremis

1 Like

Anyone have a list of Mac OSes that the Power Mac G5 can run?
Wikipedia lists the latest, but not the earliest or in between.

@FaunCB maybe?

10.5.8 is official latest. But you can get a port of 10.6 and 10.7 somewhere.

Iā€™d use 10.5, use monolingual to strip all the extra shit out, go for gold with void.

1 Like

Havenā€™t been able to get any MacOS version other than 10.5 working on my PowerMac G5

If I recall early G5 Towers ran a custom 10.3 Panther version so your mileage would vary if you tried using a early retail disc, dual processor models if I recall shipped with Tiger or Leopard depending upon the year of build date. For most G4/G5 owners youā€™ll find some prefer Tiger(10.4) over Leopard(10.5) for software reasons, on a G5 youā€™re going to gain more software support with Leopard.

It still depends upon the generation or year/month of build date, if you have a later production model of a G5 the firmware wonā€™t support booting anything older than the original shipped OS.

Sorry: I read a large part of this nice long thread but didnā€™t realize youā€™re the same person! :smirk:

Iā€™m a community manager of ā€œ3mdeb [dot] comā€, our company is going to participate in porting a coreboot opensource BIOS to POWER architecture. Although there is already an OpenPOWER opensource firmware, coreboot could provide a lot of extra advantages if ported: more details at todayā€™s talk. So hopefully there would be enough community interest to make it more viable!

You are welcome to join us today at 3PM GMT together with @AbstractConcept , @Mastic_Warrior + other top guys from this thread (could only notify 2 people at the same time :thinking: ) , as well as two weeks later 18th Feb at the same time on a fun vBeer event: the invitation links are 9 posts above

@mike_banon Thanks for the Invite. I will try to attend. I work nights and am currently at work soā€¦

Iā€™ve had an interest in coreboot as a component in my powerbook bios, rather than using of. Menus would be easier to create tht way, rather than using bullshit 4th. Doubt youā€™d know anything bout that? XD

Iā€™ll get up and head over in a moment. Donā€™t think I should smoke weed during ur talk xD

Also you can post links after becoming a member stat.

1 Like

Oh hey itā€™s the sten, whatā€™s up dude.

@stenstorp

10.1-10.5 if you actually need specifics.

1 Like

Never stopped lurking! Didnā€™t realise this was your new account.

1 Like

I appear to have missed your meetup today, but will try to drop by on the 18th.

I am personally biased towards preferring the OEM firmware when it is opensource, but I would be curious to see what you accomplish.

By the way, your ā€œ3mdeb [dot] comā€ site appears to be offline at the moment, though I do see you listed as a licensed coreboot consulting service.

POWER10 module differences

Apparently henriok/henriok2 on Twitter made a diagram about this several months ago:

1 Like

3mdeb maintains the coreboot firmware for PC Engines APUx devices.

They do good work. Well documented, buildable code. :+1:

1 Like

Tried to join. No access.

Oh well.

Well I killed the last one and already had another one I just thought I lost the login lol.

Thereā€™s a mint condition Power Mac dual G4 on ebay which includes display, keyboard, and mouse. Talked to the seller and is willing to give it including shipping for $300 altogether.

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Really hesitant though because itā€™s a lot for a collectorā€™s product. Iā€™m personally trying to go after a great condition G3, just because Iā€™m not a fan of the updated GUI they introduced with Leopard.

Other listings for that price usually only include the keyboard mouse and the computer, not the display.

If I get it, itā€™s most likely just going to collect dust in the closet anyway.