The new YouTube design is GOD AWFUL

Chrome solution using stylesheets… only a partial fix for now. No Firefox yet.

Edit: userCSS for Stylus on Firefox:

3 Likes

I love how insanely over the top people are about the slightest of changes. It makes things better for me running lower resolutions. A lot of UI stuff was obscured or broken before. Given all of the terrible changes YouTube has made in the past, or broken things that they refuse to fix, this is one of the rare times they did the right thing.

8 Likes

Is this on a limited roll-out or does anyone have any before and after shots? I’ve not seen any difference yet.

2 Likes

in private browsing, I see

Wow i haven’t seen the light colored Youtube background like that in a while. I’m on dark mode. Perhaps the changes haven’t come through on dark mode yet?

5 Likes

What do you see in private browsing? If you are on Firefox, taking screenshots is very easy

1. right click
  2. take screenshot
  3. select your area or choose save visible
  4. paste here or on imgur.
  5. ???
  6. profit!

Edited … to ???

1 Like

Well I’m on a different browser. A private window shows me this.

These look different than yours.

thank you for the screenshot… why does it look so bad? there is so much empty room on the left side.

Mind you… I didn’t take a full screen shot. So I screen capped the important parts. There is an equal amount of empty space on the right side.

As far as I can tell I don’t see any of the described changes on my end. Maybe it hasn’t been rolled out to my region yet or something… But @kush 's screenshots show rounded corners on the right side video suggestions and some rounded shadows around the like, contribute, settings menus areas and such. Are those the changes being discussed? They don’t seem that drastic just stylization changes…

1 Like

Ultrawide is the reason. On Private Browsing some EU people might be still served the old design but it looks like North America rolled over.

I’m North America.

1 Like

They’ve made official announcements so you will be getting the eye bleed soon.

Looks fine to me, I don’t see the issue

Everything is over-rounded like Windows 11 and macOS Monterey onwards. In dark mode you are automatically opted into a “ambient light” experiment where the video spills over into the rest of the UI.

If KDE went rounded corners you can turn that off. Windows 11 and macOS you CAN’T. That then carries forward to everything changing to this.

This situation makes me think of a Level 1 Project. I’m just an idea guy not a programmer. But I think it would be interesting if someone could hobble together a program or maybe even just a script that utilizes multiple VPN provider connections to various regions, screenshots or analyzes a website or interface and could keep track of how tech companies roll-out changes like this to their platforms.

I’m with you, I thought the new UI was a nice change.

1 Like

Euro here. The new changes set in yesterday for me. They bother me a little, because things aren’t visually as pleasing as they were before. I’m glad they switched the color scheme to true black, for the OLED users, bit making buttons larger amd touch screen focused on the desktop is a bit of a miss for me.
But to be outraged or angry or even annoyed about it is a bit much. Nothing I won’t get used to in a little while.
Also, I’m using 2x 1080p 24" display for viewing, which are 16:9 ratio displays.

1 Like

I hear your pain. There’s an industry-wide trend towards lots of negative space in design with giant buttons and wasted screen real-estate. For the few sites I use a lot I’ve made custom Stylus styles to undo some of the changes.

Google does this a lot. The Google Chat for business is especially bad, o a 1440 display at normal DPI you can see 10 lines of messages. While YouTube certainly does not need the UI density of a productivity tool, I don’t understand the motivation to make it less dense.

1 Like

Excuse me! Excuuuuse meeee!

Actually number 5 needs to be “?”

1 Like

Limited/phased is the way they always used to play these changes