The last version of Linux you liked

Nah, I was just plain wrong. Doesn’t matter :slight_smile:

I personally like rcctl in openbsd. It’s very simple.

1 Like

Interesting, I thought that port was long dead, but looking at the mailing list seems to indicate it’s still somewhat kicking.

Debian apparently dropped official support for the BSD port with Jessie, the same release where systemd became standard. One likely being related to the other as systemd only supports Linux making it rather hard to keep supporting a port that can’t use the default init system.

1 Like

Although I did have a lot of fun when starting out (around Ubuntu 7.10) I can’t say it’s my favorite or the last one I liked.

Linux today is so much easier. There isn’t really like a last one that I really “liked” necessarily.

The last one that actually impressed me though was Solus, and I think that’s because it seemed like it basically just popped up out of nowhere and everything worked without any issues, even my GTX 970 which required workarounds to get set up in other distros at the time. The reason I’m not using it currently though is no native support for PIA, MEGA, or Brave last time I checked.

Im using various distros on different systems but for overall work Im using peppermint 10

Yes as far as I know, systemd requires cgroup (v1 or v2) and such concept doesn’t exist on BSDs or any other nonlinuxes.

1 Like

My dept was evaluating RancherOS for deployment across all our brick and mortar store fronts:

Drop little box in the back of the store, deploy all the services via docker containers using kubernetes :slight_smile:

I was pretty surprised at the concept of the entire OS being based around containers, but it’s really kinda cool

1 Like

Just FYI, RancherOS is basically dead. Seems their focus has shifted to k3os. It’s a shame because, as you note, the concept is really cool.

2 Likes

That’s a real shame

You could build something similar with a couple hundred lines of ansible.

How comparable is OpenShift?

Ehh I’m not too sure. Haven’t really messed with it.

It uses (or implements?) Kubernetes.

Idk to be honest. I just know it’s RHEL’s container platform.

1 Like