The ITX Sandwich megabuild saga

got ya okay cool. Well if you got the case figured out. Which mobo are you going to go for? Are you going to do an APU build? I dont see the benefit of the APU if you already have a GPU. Insane MOR CORES style or just 3600X?

Well, that’s the question, isn’t it.

I’m seeing that the x570 boards are stupid expensive. I’m not sure if that’s just because of the 'rona, or if that’s the regular price. I like the Asrock TB3 board because I’ve got some thunderbolt stuff that I’d optionally like to occasionally connect, but that’s not a hard requirement.

I also like those 2.5G boards.

The way I see it, I need 2.5G, bifurcation and 4x sata ports.

Which basically tells me I should get the ASUS STRIX B550-I

Well, so that’s what I’m debating. Do I need/want Passthrough, or am I fine just running Proton/wine for Windows stuff? If so, I’ll stick a 3900x in there and be happy with more power than my 1950x, for less watts.

If I’m going to go passthrough, I’ll get whatever the top APU is, so I can get all the cores and a suitable GPU.

Honestly though, based on my actions the last 6 weeks, I think no passthrough will be acceptable.

If you are going with an APU, I’ve heard rumors that AMD will release a desktop version of their 4800H. Think 8c16t, and roughly 60% better graphics compared to 3400G, or about 1/2 that of an RX 5500 XT / GTX 1650 Super. Great things are coming, for sure. :slight_smile:

Also probably the reason Nvidia isn’t making a 1030 refresh…

1 Like

That’s a good board. I’d see nothing wrong with using it.

Proton has honestly gotten to the point where I wouldn’t go through the trouble of passthrough unless I had games with anti cheat

Well we have yet to see the IOMMU groups and stuff for how all that will be done so your hedging bets on what you don’t know.

My advice. Build what you want and need now not for later and upgrade later if needed

I actually looked for options (for someone) and that was my conclusion too, 10g just ain’t a thing for itx unless you get into $1k server boards.

I’ve learned over time that I need my pcie expandability so I’m not a fan of ITX.

1 Like

Seeing as the whole lockdown basically being the straw that broke the back of the US Economy, I completely understand. Every little bit helps right now.

Yeah, no argument from me, though when you eventually decide to move up the chain, do give an ITX GPU some consideration. They really open up the possibilities to build small. Heck, there is even the ultra small Velka 3 if you really want to go small… Though, that severely limits your GPU upgrade options, cooler options and RAM options. Still, at 3.9 liters, it is the smallest you can go for a gaming rig.

Anyway, good luck with your downsizing plans! May it turn out great! :slight_smile:

Thats good to hear. I’m excited for that stuff.

The iommu isn’t a concern. Override patch works fine.

Thanks, I think I’ve got some good plans, just need to finalize and execute now.

1 Like

Small is the only way to go… Good luck. Make a thread on it!

1 Like

Of course I will.

inb4 its like my 5G and wifi 6 thread. Endlessly delayed by other things in life :joy:

1 Like

It’s gonna be a long time coming because stuff isn’t in stock and I need to figure out what I’m doing with my current desktop. I’m debating parting it out vs selling it all-in-one.

1 Like

Only am4 itx I know of with dual 10gb is the ASRock rack MB

1 Like

Apu has same thermal head room with gpu on as non apu version of the same chip

Nothing in stock speeds will be seen

Once you oc you’ll have a great time but again

I don’t recommend a non pro ryzen chip

It’s the made in America part that will be hard to beat

1 Like

There’s a couple others out there, but I think it really checks all the boxes.

Yeah only thing other cases have is like alu vs steel but could care less. What caselabs was only other nice us case fab

1 Like

Caselabs apparently wasnt a US fab. Because they shut down due to tariffs.

Maybe us Design.

? Tarrifs were on alu (you need raw material to manufacture )

1 Like

Maybe. But it was odd that they threw a fit and just shut it down as soon as it happened.

What does sliger do then?

Mix of steel and alu. Their cases are easier to build compared to caselabs (Well some of caselabs) also they made cases and other stuff prior to these new cases that took off after Cerberus ended up with them as the manufacture. Remember management can fail a company like that too