The fetishisation of coffee

give him a hug in a mug

1 Like

Sorry. I am no expert on specific single cup machines like the Nespresso. I literally just googled and posted the first one I saw, because I knew that such a thing did exist and I thought I was being helpful. I guess it makes sense that you would have already tried and had experiences with some of the options out there. :)

As someone who loves the taste of coffee and take it black, Italian Roasts are my least favourite because it tastes like they burnt the coffee when they roasted the beans. (though it helps you appreciate the taste of better coffee black because Dark Roasts tastes like shit) If there is an "artisan" coffee it sure the hell is not Italian and you can get coffee from Dunkin Doughnuts better than that shit. (of which, DD is pretty good)

Making good coffee is a ritual, not an art, It's just a custom tailored experience where once you found out how you like your coffee, you just repeat like a cookie cutter.

https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-05c823cc0f37165f51861f400eaa3b4f?convert_to_webp=true

I heard it had a death wish.

@Ethereal

1 Like

i went to italy a few years ago and i must say they do the best coffee ive ever tasted.
i dont know how they do it. but i do know that you get a funny look if you order a cappuccino after 11am.

but i agree its a totally personal thing as to how you like it. if i just want to grab a quick take away then i think my favorite has to be tim hortons <3

Making coffee at home is a ritual. Making coffee commercially is a science. You focus on finding the way to make the best coffee possible to scale.

Starbucks and chains like that say to themselves, 90% of coffees we sell are with milk and sugar, so we will roast dark so that the flavour is not lost in the milk, and the bitterness balances the sugar. Sadly burnt coffee leaves an unpleasant aftertaste, even after the milk and sugar leave the mouth.

Modern independent shops focus on quality extractions. Get the most sugar out of the bean naturally and a broader variety of people will like it. For this, we weigh the input (dry coffee), the output (the shot of espresso, or brewed coffee), note the time it took to brew, and measure the extraction with a device called a Refractometer.

Tim Hortons had the worst iced coffee I ever tasted.

It's only a science when you're developing it because of the experimentation, but it's a ritual after it's developed.

Yeah, I've never been to a Starbucks, too hipster for me. All they fucking do is put hot coco in your coffee and call it a "mocha-chino". Yeah, I hear that, I don't like the way my room-mates make their coffee, they use to many grounds and they only get milk and it it's fucking nasty. When I first tried black coffee, I used a single serving coffee maker to experiment if it tastes better black than strong with milk and it did.

I know of extraction methods, they set an ideal temperature and run it through the grounds as swiftly as possible to make the coffee less acidic. Like I said, to me, it's only a science in the development process, and the repeating of the developed methods is a ritual.

I understand your argument. And it's certainly not wrong.

I would argue though that it is first science then technique and method that are being employed. And again, is super relevant to producing great coffee at scale.

It is ritual to make your own coffee, it is ritual to drink coffee, but when I am working the line it is just that. Make 500 shots of espresso a day that are perfect. It is a finely honed craft, and the quality is measured and reigned in, with the scientific method. Measure, take notes, adjust, repeat.

2 Likes

I know the Keurig used to come with a reusable cup, not sure if it still does. And yes, you can buy the separately.

Just like making tea.

Speak for yourself, bub.

Since coffee originates from the area that is present-day Yemen, I would start there with their beans and their methods.

But they have great breakfast on the go.

Ethiopia, then Yemen, then via the Dutch to their colonies in the south pacific. A long and beautiful history of how colonialism, despite its many evils, gave birth to much of what we have come to take for granted today.

when you said about hot water i was refering to black tea now if you mean green tea etc i can understand what you mean about the water being too hot

96 degrees celcius / 204 ferenheit is ideal for most coffee extraction. But what a lot of people don't understand is temperature equalibrium. If you put hot water in a glass french press that hasnt been heated. it will lose as much as 30 degrees celcius, which means super sour / underextracted coffee. Heat your equipment with hot water, let it sit until it equalizes at close to the temperature of the water, and then dump it out and start your brew.

The cup however does not need to be heated unless you are not drinking it right away. The palate perceives flavour best between 50-80 degrees celcius, I think that's around 120-140 ferenheit, or so. So let your coffee cool a bit, or pull it into a cool to room temperature cup and it will drop temp rapidly again because of temperature equilibrium and heat transfer.

A trick I learned from one of my mentors at a cafe where I used to work was to pull espresso into a cup that was in the freezer. It's unbelievable how much more flavour you can notice in the shot.

Gas stations around here use Kirkland dark roast, the same stuff you get in 3lb. cans over at Costco. It's good, low acidity, and pretty sweet to start with.

A bit more like 120 - 180 Fahrenheit.

Kirkland is what we have in these parts. That or Cibolo Coffee neither are bad.

Sorry I have very little experience with Ferenheit. I typically just search the conversions from Celcius on google, but I was too lazy.

Next time you are able to visit a Denny's, get their dark roast coffee. Most Denny's franchises in the US are being supplied with some really awesome coffee in the last few years and most of the time the waitresses make it pretty strong. It doesn't taste like drinking coffee flavored water.

I haven't been stoned enough to go to a Denny's in years. :P

Actually a moon over my hammy does sound good. Maybe this weekend.

It's honestly a good daily coffee. It has no distinguished flavour so adding cream and sweeteners can't make it taste weird, and again it's fairly low acidity. Combined with the fact that it's like $11 a can it's great stuff. I prefer to drink something with a distinguished flavour that mixes well, like Sumatra or Kona. They're higher acidity but they mix so damn well with Irish Cream it makes me so damn happy.

Coffee is an event every day. Sitting on the porch watching the sun rise over the mountains with a cup of coffee is all I need in life to get by. And maybe real food too.