The fetishisation of coffee

i only like wines where the grapes have been squeezed between the arm pits of a 37 year old french artist

1 Like

i like the kind that gets me drunk....

2 Likes

Don't forget about the coffee bean that is first eaten, then pooped out by a cute, cuddly, fuzzy animal which is now being exploited and abused for the sake of a motherfucking cup of coffee.

Gotta love capitalism.

1 Like

1 Like

And some gas stations actually have freaking delicious coffee and its usually like $1 for 24 oz

1 Like

Yes sir and the local doughnut shop is normally pretty good and cheap as well.

a lot of coffee shops are awful at making coffee.

just bought a nesspresso machine for 50 and got a 45 voucher for the nesspresso club and its good.

an aeropress makes reasonably nice coffee but its getting the coffee that is the hard part, a lot of the coffee ive bought is worse than instant i now order it online from a place a few miles away

is the nespresso any good? i have a dolce gusto but the pods are too pricey that i end up just using my cafetiere

yes there good. a lot cheaper.

30p a casule direct from nespresso

they sell a milk frother called the aerochino that is good (it heats and froths milk etc (can use it with or without heater)

compared to 3.99 a box for doice gusto or tassimo pods

i got it from currys for £50 and the aerochino for 35 (used £15 of the vouchers)

i worked it out that it costs 18p per cup of kenco millicano so its quite reasonable

I'm the same. I have been drinking too much coffee for years. In 2014 I competed in the Canadian National Barista Competition, and working 40 hours a week in coffee then practicing tasting and preparing coffee for 20 hours a week extra gave me anxiety overload.

I've started taking L-Theanine in the morning (not in my coffee, since it changes the taste), Drinking my filter, almost always black, though sometimes with milk, to change things up. And after noon, now I'm tea only. Sometimes soda with caffeine in it.

This is going to sound hard to believe, but the truth is the volatile compounds that bring nuance and variation to wine are not only more present in coffee, but there are in many coffees, far more of them.

For anyone here who wants to learn more about the science of taste and coffee, I have a great selection of reading materials for you:

The World Atlas of Coffee by James Hoffman
Taste: Surprising Stories and Science about Why Food Tastes Good by Barb Stucky
Any of Scott Rao's books.
Water For Coffee (this is a great new book on the science of water and its important role in extracting soluble compounds from coffee)
Blue Bottle's The Craft of Coffee (not the most informative, but a beautiful book nonetheless.
Coffee: A Dark History

Blogs:
Barista Hustle
Jim Seven (James Hoffman's Blog)

2 Likes

On the single cup machines, I really recommend an Aeropress. They are cheap, make amazing filter or espresso-style coffee, and go anywhere! (I take mine camping!) And since you can use water from a kettle, they are far more temperature stable than any of the cheap single cup machines (and with almost no waste).

Here's Alan Adler, the inventor of the Aeropress, talking about it on* Tested*

2 Likes

i might have to sell the dolce and have a look at a nespresso.
it would be cool if you could get pods that you could re-fill with any grounds of your choice.
obvously would be third party though haha,

ive got an aeropress and there really good, i like the fact there isnt really anything to clean or any mess to wipe up.

it takes a lot longer though than my nesspresso i can turn it on put milk into the frother and have a proper cappaccino if i wanted.

it doesnt burn the coffee either which i find a lot of people do as well ( a lot of people use water that is too hot with say an aeropress straight from the kettle, boiling hot water is fine with a lot of coffee but some you get a lot more subtle flavour if the water is slightly cooler)

3 Likes

can i just take this time to mention i think this thread has gone in the opposite direction than the OP intended, we're all here being coffee connoisseurs now lmao

1 Like

I have a Capresso milk frother (about $60) and it takes only a couple minutes. You could start that while the water is boiling. I'd say the whole process is under 5 minutes, and the cup is a lot better, especially once you get the hang of it.

And for filter coffee, I do inverted method, 16g coffee, 2:30 minutes infused, and 30 second press. Probably the very best brewed coffee method (subjectively).

Have a look at this (Similar ones exist for keurig and all other single cup brewers, which not only produce a lot of waste, but often contain not-so-fresh coffee, less than one would typically use per cup, and at a markup far higher (by weight) than even the most expensive specialty coffee).

I wasn't here to side with the OP. I think they were wrong, that there has always been pretention but that you just have to avoid. And perhaps more imporantly that being informed and passionate about something is a good thing. It's the reason we are all here on this forum, because we are passionate about games, computers, photography, linux, etc, etc, etc. Look at some of the threads on here and tell me you don't see far more pretention... As long as we can set aside the attitude, and focus on explaining to eachother the reason why we are passionate about something, the reason we do things a certain way, or value certain things that others might not, we beat out the pretentious nature that lingers in all things special.

1 Like

OP is currently huddled in the corner in the fetal position crying/praying/hating life.

2 Likes

lets pour coffee on him

2 Likes

please please be very careful with compatable cartiges in nespresso machines.

the nesspresso ones are shaped and are made of alimiunium, i had a couple boxes from lidle

they worked fine for a little while with a little water leaking into the drip tray then when i looked closely they are the wrong shape for the machine and dont work very well now if i try using one most of the water doesnt go through the capsule

genuine capsules are fine.

anyway back to the aeropress yes i would recommend the inverted method otherwise ive found most of the water runs through the filter while your trying to get the plunger in and its messy.

your right i have found i get a lot better taste than from a cafetiere.

1 Like

its true, the pods for my dolce barely fill a standard sized mug because they dont actually contain that much coffee. its a good job i like lots of milk to make it luke warm or id be pissed

1 Like

I'm going to brew him dandelion (poor man[literally dandelions]) coffee to restore his faith in the world.