The end of cheaters! (anybrain)

Not sure if anyone has seen this but it there is a company out there that has created an AI to stop cheating in games. What is also neat is that it doesn’t even have to be at the invasive kernel level which is better for privacy and security. They claim real-time continuous player identification with zero friction and over 99% accuracy.

What are your thoughts on this? Check it out at

2 Likes

People who do not cheat will get banned because of false positives and will have no means to oppose the decision. Only because AI is en vogue does not mean that throwing it on every problem will lead to good solutions.

7 Likes

I guess we will have to see if their claims hold up to the 99%. Its all based on human computer interaction so the false positives might be pretty low. This is a “wait and see” kind of thing. But I am excited that there is a new player in the market to crush cheaters and keep them from cheating without using kernel level monitoring. There are cheaters out there using an internet service to cheat, meaning they don’t have to really install anything to get an aimbot which would be undetectable on the OS level because its being controlled over the internet so it looks and feels like normal functions and not manipulative gameplay.

I suspect the very same thing, there will be enough false positives to cause some folks to just give up.

As for me, I just live with it, peeps will always find a way to cheat in multi-player games.

IMG_2490

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

1. Anything claiming 99% accuracy is either a test to verify water being wet or lying.
  2. Abnormal behaviour like 100 inputs per second and mouse cursor jumps don’t need fancy detection.
  3. Data Protection issue
  4. Orwell was an optimist

It is going to work in some cases, miss some extremely obvious ones and cause insane headaches.

7 Likes

I just don’t want this coming to single player games. Marvel Midnight Suns decided to flip on Anti-Cheat because if you did not buy the season pass, they sold a 2 custom skins per hero.

Now I know that game was supposed to have a ton of microtranslations built in (to many different “currencies” in the game), but it really sucked because I just did not want to spend a toe of time grinding to get the in game money (with no real world option to buy) so I could unlock colors on costumes and buy stuff for my room.

Heck just think if God Mode was blocked on Starfield by this.

Now if its used for multiplayer games, lets see how long it lasts before a way is found around it. Just every game I know of with Anti-cheat, including Midnight Suns, eventually gets cheats.

Honestly I would like better moderation of multiplayer games, when its PVP. Most PVE games I care less if someone is cheating, but even then it can really suck when you basically get left behind because you don’t cheat on multiplayer games.

Automatic age detection and validation through what? Voice? webcam?

The webpage doesn’t load for me I’m assuming you have to have JavaScript enabled. I have trust issues with links as of late. Seems to me from what I’ve read about from the above the company is after data of minors in a way that would make even Google blush. I lost my tinfoil hat last week so maybe I’m just paranoid.

1 Like

Activision-Blizzard have implemented their Ricochet anti-cheat engine into CoD last year, which is also a Machine Learning based thing and it works quite well. Some cheaters slip through the cracks, but as soon as one is reported, there’s a whole process that starts studying this person’s gameplay and analyzes the gameplay. If the person is found to be a cheater, they get put into lobbies with other cheaters for a while, so the system can learn from their gameplay. After that, it’s ban hammer time.
The system is quite a success compared to the fact that almost every lobby had more than a few cheaters before it was implemented and immediately after it was, there were hundreds of thousands of accounts permabanned.

1 Like

To be red as: we don’t want to pay people to work and be good at what they’re doing so we’re gonna implement an “if else then” AI that’s gonna save us tons of money.

AI is the buzz word of the moment and cheaters come and go in waves. If game studios want to defend their brand against cheater should work with the community to identify them, scrape the internet for cheat softwares and patch the games. They need to spend money and that’s always a nono.
Also just give out cheats for single player mode, keep them enabled in the game and let users find them. It’s a much better way to work against software cheats and it’s thrilling for the end users aswell.

How many people do you think you’d need to watch other people play to find the cheaters? How would you look for the cheaters?
Every single piece of software is an “if else then” and if you can automate a repetitive process, why wouldn’t you?
When Warzone launched in 2020, they had ~20 million active players (I forget the actual numbers, but they’re absurdly high). How would you look at what the players are doing and assess if they’re cheating or not?
Would you just employ 50.000 people to actively look at streams and play the game all the time, so that you could manually ban every cheater you come across? To have those cheaters then turn around and just make a new account and go play again.

AI is a buzzword right now, but Machine learning has been a thing in programming for over 30 years now. When people say AI right now, they’re mostly talking about ML.

2 Likes