The end of 32Bit: Or is it?

:expressionless: Yeahyeahyeah

Money makes the world go round I guess.

1 Like

Yeah, and as Valve is getting the money for the games, perhaps the onus should be on them to provide the support for their software?

Fully agree on that point.

Considering “GOG” and “EA” have repackaged classic DOS games with DOSBox & EA used WINE for a few OS X games to avoid actual native ports, Valve could develop their own WINE wrapper for Linux. R&D wise I could see Valve trying a few other options may it be wrappers or even “classic games” within the Steam “built-in browser” similar to Internet Archive.

There was one guy here kept talking about how microkernal vs macrokernal
Guy on bottom is Minix

1 Like

its time to move on to 64 bit architecture… hell even risc is moving on… 32 bit has too many limitations… sell the systems while you can and save up for some decent 64 bit machine even if its antiquated

Hardware should advance and so must software. However, a way to still be able to easily run legacy software must also be available.

People are freaking out about Ubuntu dropping the 32 bit libraries which can limit software compatibility. Isn’t there an easy way to just add them if needed? Not sure if it makes much of a difference.

Someone was mentioning different apps packaging their own 32bit libs, so I’m guessing that they’re not dropping 32bit support entirely, they’re just dropping the i386 repos they used to maintain.

In other news and in keeping with the topic, my esp32 “microcontroller” boards I just got are dual core 32bit / 240MHz arm 512k ram / 4MB flash, so no, not the end of 32bit :wink: … but not sure it qualifies as computing either.

That’s absolutely dropping 32bit support.

1 Like

And its God damn time… When even RISC says no more 32 bit instructions and your still wanting to maintain 32 bit software… I scratch my head

So I’m curious what if we started making 128 bit instructions lol AMD128 or better yet IBM128 kek

1 Like

64-bit kernels should still support 32bit elf loading and linking. (If someone really hated 32-bit they could do, … checks notes… “better”…?)

1 Like

How much would we realistically gain from a larger pipeline?

1 Like

Im really not sure

As always in tech, someone needs to do the first step. Similar to apple and thunderbolt (neither saying a like apple or their laptops). With them putting out hardware that only had thunderbolt, the whole ecosystem grew much more than it would have otherwise. And now we have hotplug external GPU’s even on many windows laptops etc.

Someone needs to do the first step. So 32Bit support being dropped might mean a phase of problems for some. But this will incentivize to update the software that still requires 32bit. And in a year or two, we’ll all be happy we’re finally done with it.

And especially in Linux Land, no one is stopping you from running your 32Bit hardware. Heck, i can still run a PowerPC Powerbook with a pretty much recent debian release. Between Archives and the option to compile stuff yourself, you can self support the architecture for your Projects. There’ll probably also be some distributions that will pick this up.
But to keep it in one of the bigger Desktop Distros is just not needed.

Just in case it wasn’t clear what’s actually happening.

1 Like

This will be interesting to watch then. I hope they will regain the support of Valve and Wine going forward, but right now it seems like someone at Canonical PR did a piss poor job XD

Seems like the plan is to scrap all application and driver packages (why have vim32 when vim64 exists?) but keep the libraries for now. In that case I’m fine with it, though it will be an engineering challenge for sure… :slight_smile:

Hope this gets resolved to 20.04

Canonical can do what they want. I think it’s a bad decision at this point in time, however.

I think other distros like PopOS! will pick up the slack and continue 32 bit support, since they are a more gaming-focused distro. IMO, this is going to harm Ubuntu’s reputation and move more users onto other distros.

What we are dropping is updates to the i386 libraries, which will be frozen at the 18.04 LTS versions.

The problem is that apt will not allow you to install mismatched versions for i386 and amd64 of the same package. So, that effectively means that if you want multilib, you’re stuck at 18.04 LTS versions.

4 Likes

I get it, though, im not sure how much it actually matters to me.