The end of 32Bit: Or is it?

Its not a thing for me to mainline these machines, I just want to use them.

All 64 bit (x86_64) understand 32 bit instructions (x86). There is no reason to still use x86 CPU’s. 32 bit libraries are fine, but as time goes on there will be less and less as more of the core toolchain is transitioned to only 64 bit where sane.

Its an uphill battle in the snow.

1 Like

No one seems to understand how convenient a 9 inch netbook is anymore. Sigh.

Well if you really want a portable x64 Linux ‘netbook’, you could try this.

lol I want to use the machine that I have, not get a new machine. I’m already in the process of getting a mobile workstation and cleaning house in the process.

Given the issues with ASLR and 32 bit address space making attacks much more feasible, there are real reasons to not use 32 bit code. So i wouldn’t quite call 32 bit libraries “fine” myself, i’d suggest they’re to be treated as an interim compatibility issue to resolve as soon as feasible.

But that’s my opinion. Others may differ. Personally if i was trying to use hardware old enough to be 32 bit only as a desktop or anything outside of an embedded device i’d be pulling my hair out in frustration - anything that old will be outperformed by a raspberry pi quite easily.

edit:
Slackware is still available for x86.

So when does the 128bit come out?

Unlikely inside our (well, mine anyway - i’m 41) lifetime. At least on consumer gear.

The transition from 32 to 64 bit (we’re talking about address space here) is a lot bigger than double the address space. It’s 4 billion times the address space.

In some ways (non-address space related) the current batch of CPUs are already wider than 64 bit, but that’s not the traditional way the “bit-ness” of a processor is measured.

Put it this way, even if we assume memory capacities double every year (and lately they just haven’t) we’re talking 30 years, assuming the standard memory size today is 16 GB - before we need to increase address space again, assuming we don’t resort to memory segments again.

In order to crunch that sort of increased data size, we’d need appropriately faster CPUs, and lately intel has been dawdling along with sub-5% performance increases per year. The days of 2x CPU speed improvements like we had back in the 80s and 90s year on year are a thing of the past.

I suspect quantum computing may be a thing before we need/hit 128 bit address space.

1 Like

Yeah well 32bit can be concidered pretty much EOL by now.
There are a couple of distributions that still will hold some support arround.

But yeah…

Vista.

2 Likes

I’m not going to use In-Cell OS

What are you using that requires 32 bit anyway? Hardware or software?

1 Like

Hardware. I have a netbook that I got as a HS graduation present from my boss that I want to use. Its actually got an awesome keyboard and does YT vids really well. I used it for notes and web surfing in college.

1 Like

Major Necro…
I can’t see a recent thread about the updated news but if there is, please close this off…

About Canonical / Ubuntu dropping 32bit libraries for new versions of Ubuntu…

Valve responded that they were going to drop support of Ubuntu.

Isn’t this kinda wrong?

64 bit is the current standard, but devs have been working to support both 32 and 64 bit since 64 was released.
Okay, Canonical have only been talking about dropping 32 bit support for the last 2-5 years, so it is kinda sudden…

But should they continue to support 32 bit in perpatuity?

As Valve have a financial stake in sales of the 32 bit software (games in this case) should they take on providing the libraries required?

perhaps creating descreet snaps / flatpacks / whatever for each game?

1 Like

Furry has this thread about the end of 32 bit in relation to what just happened. Other then that. No.

1 Like

I was also going through the forum trying to find a new thread on this. I think it would be a good idea to make one just because Canonical has announced they are dropped 32-bit libs in 19.10.

If not then here are my thoughts.

I still can’t believe they are doing it. Do they not see what has happened in the last year or two in their user base? People switching from Windows to Linux (not specifically Ubuntu but Linux in general) because of the massive backlash from Windows policies and licensing? I permanently switched about 18 months ago after a career change got rid of my need for a Windows dual boot and have been running Ubuntu since all because of how easy it was to just get games that I played up and running.

The thing that doesn’t make any sense is there are countless articles, videos, and youtubers talking about how to switch from Windows to Ubuntu specifically for gaming and they all point to Steam and Proton on getting things to run. Steam and Proton both require 32-bit libs to work. If Canonical decides to move forward with this why would the average user pick their distro? They got rid of the one thing that made choosing their distro a slam dunk. If you can’t run the biggest gaming platform on PC they when would we choose it?

I’ll keep running Ubuntu for now in case they change their tune but I think the writing is on the wall.

The way I see it, is Canonacle do more than just game with their OS.

They had a surge of users once Win10 came out, and their base did increase, but to be fair, I don’t think Gamers are really their focus.

Also, the change would have to happen eventually, but you are right, would have been better to wait a few more years until more people are comfortable with the OS, and then have back end talks for a couple of months / years with people like Valve, and GOG etc to ensure the companies have compatibility layers or emulators in place

I do more than just game with Ubuntu. I have a server that runs 18.04 with kubernetes containers for various small time services. I don’t use Ubuntu strictly for gaming and I don’t think a lot of hardcore “gamers” would make the switch from Windows at all.

This is what I don’t get. Just earlier this week (or sometime last week) Valve started looking for KDE devs and released a huge update to SteamPlay. So that is fairly obvious that they love Linux. Ubuntu PR people have said in the past that having SteamPlay is a huge boost to the attractiveness of Linux gaming. It’s like these two companies are looking at each other from opposites ends of the gym at the middle school dance to nervous to start a conversation but they both know that they like each other. Just shit or get off the pot guys.

http://www.slackware.com/changelog/

Well, I mean to say Gaming is a major focus of what I use my computer for, and if my games are no longer supported on Ubuntu, I’ll switch away.

Ad to that the face that games publishing is now turning over more money that traditional movies / tv shows, and it is a growth industry to support.

I’m just not convinced that it’s a high priority for Shuttleworths’ company.
I mean there must be Some overlap between the devs / contributors and gamers, but I know several of them use linux day-to-day, and load windows for gaming, just like the BSD folk do