The cold is breaking my monitor? any ideas?

Hey so i got this old 1080p acer monitor for the time being and since it started getting below 0c in my home office everytime when i come home from work and turn the PC on it seems that my monitor has these weird black lines and splotches everywhere, they usually go away after a few days or so of uptime or if the room is heated but when shutoff overnight and the room gets cold the monitor stays like it for a while any clue what has happened?

Same thing used to happen to my old Dell Latitude D830 LCD screens (2008ish era) that were left in cold vehicles overnight. It would usually take a few hours of runtime before the spots disappeared. But never had the issue again after switching to Toughbooks and Getac notebooks. Not sure if it was a difference in panel quality or just newer display technology.

Oh interesting, it must be a crappy display since it was a cheap display anyway doenst happen to my 1440p Samsung or 1280p 2006 or something dell monitor…

although i guess i can live with it for 4 weeks till my next paycheck and treat myself a new display(s)

Or just leave the heater on? I have to ask WHY your home office is 0 degrees C.

1 Like

its the attic and a 1800s home i recently bought havent gotten around to adding some actual heaters and stuff yet although its next on the list. but at night it reaches around 0c, in the day time its fine tho.

1 Like

Well then …

Its a liquid crystal display. It wont be displaying much if it is frozen solid. Get a hairdryer on it for a temporary fix.

2 Likes

Isolating the front frame and back of the display from cold, could be enough to do the trick. Get some cheap materials for it and try to not to turn it into a toughbook display in regards to the design.

hmm this sounds like a decent idea, im getting an OLED or Mini LED monitor next month hopefully anyway so i think that may solve some issues? i used to solve the issue in the past in my old house by having my PC behind my monitors but since my new Thinkstation is HUGE not really a thing i can sadly to keep some warmth around it.

1 Like

passively cooled noiseless office, you gotta make some compromises in your life :wink:

3 Likes

I absolutely love the picture quality and contract ratio on my LG OLED but it’s not aging well. In a little over 2 years the burn-in has gotten quite severe. I’ve even tried rearranging the icons on my launcher but it just caused more burn-in. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

P.S. - Bonus points for anyone that can name the browser icons seared into my panel

2 Likes

@F1N
looks like screen door effect to me.
likely a result of the liquid crystals contracting with the cold. resulting in bigger gaps between the crystals.
solution… put your hand on the screen till its warm.
the screen door effect should fade as the particles warm up.
if it works then invest in a hairdryer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Firefox, opera, alien head, horse footprint, the ring, Pepsi, trash can, a frog. :man_mage:

4 Likes

i have a hair dryer i can borrow so i guess ill give it a shot, if it breaks/gets worse its not the end of the world just going to be out a monitor for a month or so.

1 Like

lol i dont mean cook it mate. just bring it up to a normal room temp like 15-20’c
basically just low key warm the front of the screen with a warm air current.

Luckly not. I’ve had similar experiences with all types of LCD screens, from old flip phones screens, digital watches to modern smartphones.

Cold is just preventing the pixels from being correctly driven due to the low temperature. They just get “lazy” and don’t respond well enough to display the full image.

Temperature even affects monitor performance in the normal rage at which human beings live, between 18°C and 26°C indoor. But that’s a difference that’s measurable only with measuring devices and not by eye.

The only thing I’m not sure about is if driving the LCD at that resolution might damage it on the long run.

oh i just noticed you have inking in the top corner.

i thought you meant the checkering in the picture.
not the broken part in the top corner. my bad. yeah that screen is about done.
you could replace the display panel at less cost than a new monitor (if you do it yourself.)
but your looking at 50-100 depending on the spec. :frowning:

Isolate the back of the display with isolation material. If that’s not enough, turn brightness and gamma to max, to make use of panel warmth that the display itself will produce. If that’s not enough either. Open the back panel of the display and connect it to your graphics card via copper heatpipes, wiring or tubing.

if anyone asks why the monitor display is so bright. Say it’s because of HDR technology :stuck_out_tongue:

ah thanks! Ill still give the hair dryer a try since can’t hurt i guess? and well fixing the LCD is not worth me doing since picking up a Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 next month so i guess ill live with a few dead pixels for a few more weeks i guess

(although i need to see if my GPU can push a Neo + 2 other monitors)