Testing The Ryzen 3800x In The ASRock Taichi X570 -- Faster Than The 9900k? | Level One Techs

@wendell

Also yeah the same with gpu´s and pci-e slot power.
This also differs allot per pcb design.

Cool, thanks for the reply, this is interesting stuff as always :slight_smile:

Is it a PCIe 4.0 thing? Would explain why all (or almost all) the X570 boards have a seemingly useless extra power connector for the CPU power. Also would spell the demise of an awkwardly placed 6-pin or (groan) 4-pin molex. Much more convenient to plug it in at the top of the board indeed!

If 4.0 allows for a higher current draw on the +12V that would make the jury-rigged 4.0 on older boards even more unlikely to work stable I guess? Don’t have the 4.0 spec and also don’t fancy paying thousands of dollars to get into the club.

Hmm, Molex doesn’t seem to care if the pins are solid or not, same current specification (~10 years). Solid pins just have a little lower mechanical mate/unmate force specified (a good thing, recall many a stuck 24-pin). The 384W figure for the 8-pin is for ordinary stamped pins, there is no separate spec for solid pins (the wires to the connector might not be up to it though, but the pins in the connector is). Asus has a bit in their marketing talking about how their solid pin 8-pin is good for 480W or 10A per pin. Good if you trust their marketing I guess :smiley:

And yeah, fan headers, totally forgot about those. In our glorious +12V EPS powered future we’ll probably see more high powered fan headers, also very welcome.

Plus I think a lot of manufactures would likely take ohms law into account. Specifically why we see multiple wires for the positive and negative connections available for the PCI-e and EPS power connectors. You either up the wire gauge or increase the amount of wires to help spread out the load. Less resistance, less heat, and all that good electronics goodness that makes the world go round. :slight_smile:

I can definitely see the motherboard manufactures working with the same basic idea for their power delivery, especially with how much is packed in motherboards these days.

I’d also imagine the enterprise market especially optimizes the use of power delivery however and wherever they possibly can, or at least the majority of them.

Though whether a particular motherboard vendor for a consumer board does this or not probably won’t make or break a quality of the board, as long as it can do what it’s rated for. (And not abused by companies, like the system my friend bought. Where the motherboard wasn’t even designed for the FX-8320 that the OEM put in, thus being too much power draw for the poor board…)

But anyway, electrical power routing aside, any new results regarding the 3800X for you @wendell? :slight_smile:

@wendell

Have you also seen BSODs with TB3 Hotplug with the X570 Taichi and the GC-Titan Ridge AIC?

Also, if PCIe 1 and PCIe 3 are occupied I noticed that the slots run at x16 and x4, not x8/x8 like the specifications would suggest, can you confirm this?