Testing suricata on a Linux desktop

I want to start monitoring my network traffic and I’ve picked suricata. But after configuring it I cannot start the service. I was following this tutorial: https://youtu.be/xXte5RplzBc
I’m currently running Devuan, so at first I thought this is a lack of systemd issue, but after some reading it might look as bad config. When I try to sudo service suricata start I get:

suricata disabled, please adjust the configuration to your needs  ... failed!
and then set RUN to 'yes' in /etc/default/suricata to enable it. ... failed!

The only thing that I have changed in the default config was:

• changing HOME_NET IP
  • changing default-log-dir location
  • changing af-packet interface from eth0 to what I’m using
  • adding aditional wireguard interface to af-packet

I tried to run the binary manually with sudo /usr/bin/suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -D but it returns version/options instead of starting the deamon:

Suricata 6.0.10
USAGE: /usr/bin/suricata [OPTIONS] [BPF FILTER]

-c <path>                            : path to configuration file
	-T                                   : test configuration file (use with -c)
	-i <dev or ip>                       : run in pcap live mode
	-F <bpf filter file>                 : bpf filter file
	-r <path>                            : run in pcap file/offline mode
	-q <qid[:qid]>                       : run in inline nfqueue mode (use colon to specify a range of queues)
	-s <path>                            : path to signature file loaded in addition to suricata.yaml settings (optional)
	-S <path>                            : path to signature file loaded exclusively (optional)
	-l <dir>                             : default log directory
	-D                                   : run as daemon
	-k [all|none]                        : force checksum check (all) or disabled it (none)
	-V                                   : display Suricata version
	-v                                   : be more verbose (use multiple times to increase verbosity)
	--list-app-layer-protos              : list supported app layer protocols
	--list-keywords[=all|csv|<kword>]    : list keywords implemented by the engine
	--list-runmodes                      : list supported runmodes
	--runmode <runmode_id>               : specific runmode modification the engine should run.  The argument
	                                       supplied should be the id for the runmode obtained by running
	                                       --list-runmodes
	--engine-analysis                    : print reports on analysis of different sections in the engine and exit.
	                                       Please have a look at the conf parameter engine-analysis on what reports
	                                       can be printed
	--pidfile <file>                     : write pid to this file
	--init-errors-fatal                  : enable fatal failure on signature init error
	--disable-detection                  : disable detection engine
	--dump-config                        : show the running configuration
	--dump-features                      : display provided features
	--build-info                         : display build information
	--pcap[=<dev>]                       : run in pcap mode, no value select interfaces from suricata.yaml
	--pcap-file-continuous               : when running in pcap mode with a directory, continue checking directory for pcaps until interrupted
	--pcap-file-delete                   : when running in replay mode (-r with directory or file), will delete pcap files that have been processed when done
	--pcap-file-recursive                : will descend into subdirectories when running in replay mode (-r)
	--pcap-buffer-size                   : size of the pcap buffer value from 0 - 2147483647
	--af-packet[=<dev>]                  : run in af-packet mode, no value select interfaces from suricata.yaml
	--simulate-ips                       : force engine into IPS mode. Useful for QA
	--user <user>                        : run suricata as this user after init
	--group <group>                      : run suricata as this group after init
	--erf-in <path>                      : process an ERF file
	--unix-socket[=<file>]               : use unix socket to control suricata work
	--reject-dev <dev>                   : send reject packets from this interface
	--set name=value                     : set a configuration value

To run the engine with default configuration on interface eth0 with signature file "signatures.rules", run the command as:

/usr/bin/suricata -c suricata.yaml -s signatures.rules -i eth0