Testing ryzen with Amd vs Nvidia GPU, DX11 vs DX12

More food for thought when "benchmarking".

Okay some interesting info is surfacing in testing Ryzen with Nvidia/AMD GPU and DX11 vs DX12.

Ryzen of the Tomb Raider - AdoredTV
The Division AMD Ryzen 1700 DirectX 11 vs. DirectX 12 & AMD vs. Nvidi - TechEpiphany

, , , ,but why does AMD GPU and DX12 help Ryzen so much more then the 7700K in Tombraider? How much feed back is there from GPU to CPU? Is there a core/thread bottle neck in the feedback?

2 Likes

You should post this in the Adoredtv vs Hardware Unboxed thread. People will be more likely to see it there. I think that second video is an interesting contribution to all of this.

1 Like

I obviously don't know how crossfire works but I am surprised that it worked so well for the RX 480s in AdoredTV's video as I thought it would have been hampered by or hinder the infininty fabric?

Well, DX12 uses more threads, 8c/16T > 4c/8T. He's trying to make a case that given a highend AMD GPU, Ryzen can show it's true capabilities in DX12, but since AMD doesn't have a current highend GPU, most tech press will go for an Nvidia card and given that they don't perform as well as a true async architecture, they show Ryzen in a bad light even in DX12 applications. But I must contend with his crossfire 480x vs a single 1070 and Maxwell Titan X comparisons, and his zero on-screen-display footage comparisons.

well i think there are 2 things

1) AMD gpu's are fully fed, nvidia gpu's are always bottlnecked. (and we know that amd gpu's are more cpu hungry - they bottleneck cpu's, this is odd)

2) Nvidia cards run cooler than ryzen, which makes me thing nvidia is downclocking their core for amd ryzen platform to show worse fps.

can't edit my fckup @up

nvidia cards run cooler on ryzen than on intel 6900 cpu's

cores....It all boils down to cores. if your software can handle alot of threads at a time, which DX11 cannot, dx12 can though, and since AMD has chosen to go the heavily threaded way unlike intel who thinks that selling you a 2 core hyper threaded cpu counts as quad core, there is your answer.
With ryzen Intel is having it's arse handed to it since that cpu operates at "~approximately~" the same efficiency as the intel CPU's(for the moment) except it has twice the core count, at half the price. Albeit intel still has the best single core speed, but single core is so DX11, even AMDs GPUs are better at handling multiple threads rather then pipelining multiple threads, like Nvidia, which is why AMDs 'GPUs are/were so bitcoin mining friendly, it really is "a brave new world".

Probably because with Nvidia you have a DX 11 hardware design working on a DX 12 problem. It's a very nice DX11 design but Nvidia really need to get a proper DX12 card out. AMD will probably be 5 generations ahead and looked to have shaped the graphics API's over the next ten years.

With the money from the success of Ryzen and ground work AMD have put in with the consoles, I can see the next few years getting rough for Nvidia.

Interesting times for the PC and gaming, but I like the fact AMD also seem focused on the non gaming aspects of it's hardware.