Tesla passive cooling

Essentially, my question is; can a Tesla k40 or k10/GRIDk2 be open-air passive cooled safely by just prying open the fins, are their heatsinks too small for this?

Well, there are safeguards that does thermal throttling so less power is pumped into your cards when it gets too hot but your adjacent enterprise gears will be compromised and/or the card’s lifespan will be shortened.

Its probably ok if your card hardly ever gets used, so a passive cooler could be fine. But if you do anything that is graphically demanding, you may need to get an electric fan pointed at the thing.

All in all, probably a bad idea but it can be done.

1 Like

It’ll cook the memory, GPU core might be “fine” but the ram won’t
I highly recommend using both of these

Recommend at least 92mm 2600 rpm for the rear fan
And 3600rpm 60mm fan
I also recommend having a fan blow on the top of the card to cool the vram

4 Likes

Short answer: No, you can’t just passively cool 200W

Long answer:

2 Likes

Was hoping to use it in a build server; vgpu providing multiple vm with basic hardware accelleration (desktop navigation, ,office suite, web browsing). Would this be within spec with 8pin power only? Can probably get larger heatsinks if required.

Also, thank you for the quick responses!

You can get away with basic desktop and office use but i believe web browsing uses a lot of hardware acceleration these days. Not sure if it is GPU bound instead of CPU. Also CAD also uses GPU and it falls under “office”.

You should probably listen to @GigaBusterEXE ’s advise because they actually do these kinds of things at work.

1 Like

Add images

Is there perhaps another silent+lowcost solution for this? I’m sorry to go off-topic(?) I’ve been using open air cooling for everything else so I don’t go insane from the fan noise (theres nowhere else to put this stuff). VRAM is covered by metal backplates; would this or larger ram heatsinks make a difference? Thank you!

If it’s open air
Then you’ll need a bit of duct tape and 3 92mm fans

Strap a fan onto the back of each plate on the back to cool the ram it’ll still get hot
The strap a fan to the center of the front and form a “sealed duct” so the air can only go to each of the proper heatsinks, the adhesive might be conductive so make sure you don’t short any electrical components out

Thank you, I understand this is EXTREMELY STUPID. This system needs to be inaudible or have No Fan Noise, in a small room with a very low noise floor (think library records room). My hope is that someone can tell me how to make this happen. I don’t know how much I can spend on it, but if you could please point me towards other options that you know of; passive cooling, silence optimized GPU enclosure, low cost gvt-g solutions, ANYTHING, I would really appreciate it. That’s really what I need here. I’m sorry to be such a pain. Thank you all for taking the time to respond. It means a lot to me.

If silence is an absolute requirement, cant you just do something like a remote access sort of? Put your noisy computer in a different floor/room and do a remote access/RDP or something similar? Is access to a low latency system also a must?

Is renting GPU from the cloud too cost prohibitive?

Hi! Thanks for getting back!

All rooms are occupied, the lockable closets have no power outlets & I haven’t asked, but I’d guess putting a tesla powered server in one of the offices is probably a no-go.

Current setup is very inefficient, but should eventually be mostly automated. So latency isn’t an issue (I think?).

From browsing around linode; I’m not sure if Hardware accelleration was included (may have missed it somewhere). The ploans specifying gpu were for serious computation, which I don’t need/already have. can’t afford a sub above ~10-20/mo.

Not sure what else.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.