Teksyndicate's oppinion on Plextor drives

With Christmas coming up, I decided it would be a good idea to sugest computer parts. It needs to be under $50 for somone to auctualy consider buying it. So I decided on a small SSD. I don't need much room as I'm only going to put my OS on it. The only SSD I could find under $50 was this Plextor one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/plextor-internal-hard-drive-px64m5s

Even though I will only have my OS on it, I don't want this thing just killing it self with in the first year. Is it a good drive for the money? I don't want to get just a normal HDD and then install a SSD when I have the money. Sounds like a pain in the butt.

There aren't that many flash memory chips manufacturers, Plextor definitely isn't one of them. Also the interface between sata and nand flash memory chip, there aren't many manufacturers of those either, plextor isn't one of them. Short of really bad engineering (or not-engineering) this drive should work as any other ssd drive.

Thats the Plextor M5, I have heard it's a pretty reliable and fast SSD.

You should not have any issues with it if you do choose to purchase it.

*knock on wood*

M5S is the slow version of the M5 line.  They use crappier flash chips and stuff.

On the other hand, the M5P is a really good drive.

Both have a good marvell controller and you can't go wrong with a Plextor M5 drive.