While scrolling, I stumbled across this video which peaked my interest. It sounds like tools like ChatGPT were used to assist in the design. A very impressive project. Unfortunately I’m having difficulty finding much info in English but the prospect of a coreboot based open hardware motherboard that supports Ryzen is intriguing. I hope this is of interest to some of you as well.
Link to the original video about the project:
3 Likes
I talked with the guy that made this, he was asking for help on Coreboot Discord about 3 months ago or so to see if it can be ported to his homebrew board cause he was using a modified AMI BIOS. Sadly I couldn’t help, and conclusion was that the only AMD provided silicon init was for certain Chromebooks based Ryzens.
I recall that it took quite a while to reverse engineer some laptop board to get how pins were connected to replicate on his design. The mobile Ryzen was salvaged.
The main thing is that I see it as a proof of concept for open Hardware, as you can have a Motherboard with open schematics and no NDA. I recall that UDOO, who did the Ryzen Embedded based UDOO Bolt several years ago, usually published the schematics of their boards for Intel but didn’t for the Bolt, and when asked, they said that it was due to AMD NDA. You could technically bypass all that if it is possible to do proof of concept boards at single unit scale. I wondered if it was possible to manufacture them in batches or something, but price would be horrible.
1 Like