Tangible benefits of moving to X470 from X370

Microcenter has a ASUS ROG STRIX X470 open box for $132. I’m on x370 & R7 1800X. Any point in upgrading?

If I saw no and your motherboard takes a dump tomorrow I am gonna look like a moron. :slight_smile:

Even harder when you factor in the insane cpu/mb combo sales with some 2nd gen cpu’s giving 100 bucks off plus the 30 to 50 off the mb when bought together.

open box gpu’s are sweet however. Wish I could help more

Depending on what specific mainboard you are coming from, maybe.
When you are on a ROG Strix x370, then no, save your money. When you are on some cheapo Biostar board, then sure.

1 Like

What X370 are you running right now?
If you have say a Taichi X370, a Professional Gaming X370, a ROG Crosshair VI Hero or something along these lines, its not worth it.
However if you’re running an entry level X370 mobo it may be worth the shot.

I’m on the ROG STRIX w/latest bios. I’m not really inclined to upgrade but I’m keeping my eye on the X470 boards for a killer deal. I struggle with my ram speed and timings. I can attain the listed DRAM timings and DDR-4 3000 and a 100 MHz OC on the 1800x but not without weirdness. VLC and PIA app become unresponsive and if I OC the CPU anymore I get weird problems with BF1 & 5 like maps not loading. I’m saving for an ultrawide so buying a new MB is not a priority but still…

I am also interested about this. I am on B350 board at the moment. No issues for using it over year with 2700x but feel worried a bit about longevity of it. I would wonder if jumping to X470 would be worth in my case.

The “conventional” wisdom is no unless XYZ. If you don’t OC and your ram is DDR4 2400 or lower and you’re only gaming then probably not.

1 Like

Thanks for this. My ram is 3000 (2x 16gb) and I am using Performance Boost Overdrive.