Talk me out of (or into) this

I'v been using Windows 7 on my main computer since 2010.

I had a laptop with Ubuntu, now switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon.

I have a rig I use for testing new things, running Win10 technical.

And basically I'v been pondering upgrading to Windows 8.1, on my main, tonight or tomorrow. My Windows 7 is perfect, not a single problem. I love Windows 7 to the ends of the Earth. But I'm.... bored of it?

Please, talk me out of (or into) upgrading to Win8.1 .... In the back of my mind it's an absolutely horrible idea but something just wants me to do it. I know that If i upgrade I wont be able to downgrade, obviously, and I don't have enough space to use for backup in order to reinstall Win7 if I decide I don't like Windows 8.1(I have 2.7tb used on my computer and I'm running 4tb)

Basically everything in the back of my mind says upgrading is a horrible idea. But I'm bored. Help!

I'd say not to simply because you'll be able to get 10 for free regardless of whether you're using 7 or 8.1

Yes this is something I am aware of. Another reason I'm pondering switching, because since I haven't really had the chance to fiddle with Win8 much, this would give me the chance before Win10 upgrade is available.

If Win7 is operating exactly how you want it, don't fuck that up for 8.  You're going to have to sink a lot of time into configuring everything the way you want it again.  Unless you enjoy the tinkering process (I do, to an extent) I don't think it's worth it to upgrade when you've got things worked out that well.

Shit, up until I built my new rig I was still rocking XP.  Rock solid, and it was configured exactly how I liked it.  Kind of miss it, but I'm finally getting close to a perfect win7 config.

Keep the laptop running Mint Cinnamon or Opensuse 13.2 KDE.