Take 2 Have Declared Modding In General Illegal, Cease & Desist Sent Against OpenIV

I'm curious to know if any of you guys will or will not buy future Take Two or Rockstar games. Personally, I have no interest supporting shady companies anymore. I use to have an interest in trying out Read Dead Redemption if it ever comes to PC but these recent events have sour my interests.

1 Like

If they make a new RDR for pc, I have quite a tough decision... the last one was spectacular. As far as GTA VI is concerned? nah. With the way GTA has been going I'm not too eager to go out an purchase a new one. They've gotten too soft, way too easy to complete. Where's the soul-crushingly difficult mission that haunts you for days/weeks/months/years in GTA V? it was there in the other GTAs I've played but not in this one...

2 Likes

Rockstar, no. Not interested in what they have to offer any more. If V is anything to go by, new games single player will be short, uninteresting, bug ridden and unfixed. The online is not fun unless you pay for it to get all the things and that is way expensive so no to that too. Never played any previous Red Dead games so have no interest to begin with there.

Take 2 probably by way of 2K. The new Xcom2 expansion looks to be very good. Though I am not happy about it, you have to mod both xcom 1 and 2 to get the most out of the base game or other wise built in mechanics work against you and take a lot of the fun out of them. Borderlands? I love the series but their CEO is a massive cunt and they have made a mess of a few of their games, the DLC of the Pre-Sequel was pretty shit but they still charged full for it. So they are a wait and see. They are also currently being sued by 2k I believe because the funneled money from the development of the Alien game they fucked up into the development of Borderlands 2 which was huge and awesome, but now I know why.

I have no interest in anything else they make that I can think of.

I picked up GTA V for 50% Off and for the amount of hours I 've been in Single Player, it's been worth the money, but I bought the game only to play the SP Mod where you play as Emergency Services.

I was going to pick up GTA V this upcoming summer, but no. This is bullshit. I bought GTA IV because of the silly mods.

Our favorite cynic has some on-point commentary here.

2 Likes

Does anyone need a summary if they do not want to hear a British guy talking for 40 minutes?

publisher/studio/dev boycotts always strike me as a dramatic thing to do. i guess if you're content with the moral superiority, and nothing from said company peaks your interest, then you're not losing anything. personally, i prefer to take a game as a standalone product. if there's nothing being crammed down my throat in a game in regards to a particular studio/publisher, i generally don't care what they have to say. there's the tired old argument that if you like Ozzy Osbourne, then by proxy you must like him biting the heads off things, you can't possibly be into his music and not his personal life/actions.

for example, if a game that was exceedingly feminist and showed men being castrated was published by EA, i wouldn't buy it. i would not immediately slap EA on my super super blacklist for all time ever and ever, and preach for people to burn their Command and Conquer cd's and presume to think anyone would give a flying toss about my change.org petition to have EA staff ground into toothpaste and fired into the sun. if EA continued to publish Bollockcaust games, and/or just subpar games in general, i would probably not be interested in EA games for a while. this is not the same as a blacklist. however, if EA published Halo 4, 5, and whatever other games in the series, i would buy them because i'm interested in the Halo series, not because i give a toss who publishes them.

TotalBuscuit boycotted Sega titles on his channel of 2+ million subs for a number of years, and even he recently gave in and said there was little point in grandstanding as these companies quite literally get 111/10 IGN scores every time, and will continue to publish shit games [ubisoft] no matter what. so why waste your time actively boycotting an entire studio/dev? if a game is shit, don't buy it. it's too much effort for me to slap a game down based on whose logo's on the box. show me the game first.

Long story short. Take-Two/Rockstar sees the single mods as a major competitor to their online offerings which therefore cuts into their micro transaction profits. They then use mental judo to justify their lawsuit against OpenIV devs.

Hmm, I didn't see it that way, I thought it would be more of the "mod menu dudes in online giving out free money"

Either still slowing shark card sales

More news from Rockstar:

3 Likes

Beat me too it.

As of right now OpenIV is back and working as it was again. Albeit with certain stipulations which are detailed in the Motherboard link above.

"After discussions with Take-Two, Take-Two has agreed that it generally will not take legal action against third-party projects involving Rockstar's PC games that are single-player, non-commercial, and respect the intellectual property (IP) rights of third parties. This does not apply to (i) multiplayer or online services; (ii) tools, files, libraries, or functions that could be used to impact multiplayer or online services, or (iii) use or importation of other IP (including other Rockstar IP) in the project."

Discussion on the update to things begin on this page of the original announcement on the GTAmodding forums:

1 Like

Recently, I've discovered this youtube channel which provides good depth of understanding about all the issues in question.

Paid Mods

Early Access

Micro-transactions

Why games cost 60$

From a different channel, but still helps us understand expenses.

If you're still with me, I hope that after watching all these video's you understand a bit more about what afflictions affect games today.

I found that last one also interesting, because "due to inflation average game should cost between 80$-100$. And when we look at DLC or Season passes they usually bump the total cost of the game around this price", (May not be direct quote; I'm paraphrasing).

So the boycott is over? We can now sheathe our pitchforks and negative reviews?

IT never really began. People were not willing to give up the games any way, they were all just really annoyed. The negative reviews will probably slow down now but probably not stop, the steam reputation of the game and online in general is ruined.

Lost trust has to be earned back again. Responsible consumers are not sheep. That's not saying the majority are not mutton.

3 Likes

I don't think that has anything to do with why it is not open source. If he wrote the tool the way he says he did and did not uses any code from the game in OpenIV the it is unlike that would happen. EULA say a lot of things that are necessary true when it comes to what you can and can't do when it comes to software. TOS have a greater impact because they can kick you off a service. This whole situation has me very confused. They claimed the software "enables recent malicious mods" even if that was the case you can argue that Visual Studio and gcc allows you to enable malicious mods.

1 Like

Update: