Take 2 Have Declared Modding In General Illegal, Cease & Desist Sent Against OpenIV

good, don't buy their games. gta5 was a rip off anyway in my opinion. It was the shortest - biggest game i've seen. Plenty of assets never used, and it feels like story was cut out of the product. (i felt like 80% of story sp content was cut out of the game)

1 Like

Time to mod the shiat out of Take 2 Games. :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh man. Could you imagine. Get the good modders into internal testing, convince them it would be easier to hire them full time instead of testing the mods and then only allow modding through their store.

It would literally be end times doe Bethesda but that is so juicy.

I can't see that happening soon but ohhhhh.

Right now : 33% of 14.5K reviews in the last 30 days are positive. So thousands of people have given GTA5 a negative review on Steam today. Brutal ! (but entirely deserved, of course)

That's the recent reviews. Believe it or not, that's negative as well as positive! Scroll down far enough and you may encounter one or two positive reviews.

EDIT : 2 hours later : 30% of 15.9K reviews are positive. Ouch!

1 Like

And of course, some fresh mods for the occasion:

9 Likes

Because thats totally illegal (I smell a digital homicide).

1 Like

Like literally against the law illegal???

I really wonder what law this crosses.

Like "cease and desist or we'll drag you to court for DMCA violations" illegal.

EDIT : and to clarify, here's a quote from Wikipedia's article on DMCA

1 Like

What of single player mods for GTA ON PC?

OpenIV was used to make those soooo, take a guess.

1 Like

Yeah literally all of them.

OpenIV was just a tool to extract files and add files in. Just an archive manager. They wrongly assume that banning the tool from.distribution will stop modding, both on and offline.

No mods period.

@DrunkByDefault pretty much as explained above. Every game has a section in their EULA about not reverse engineering and modifying the game. In general no developer actually cares as it does not harm the game. Take 2 have enforced this section now with all the legal ramifications that come with it.

The have also in the past hired Private Investigators to find and go to the houses of the FiveM private online server developers for GTA V and physically hand the cease and desist letter to them. Doubally scary as Take 2 literally knows where they live if they ever decide to disobey they warnings and continue development.

They are a nasty piece of work.

Edit: steam reviews down to 23% positive recently only.

Oh my, it was 26 yesterday.

It's 22% now, once it loses another 3%, it will be overwhelming negative.

2 Likes

I give it a day.

Now I'm worried about the fact that T2 acquired Kerbal Space Program not so long ago. Of course, Squad (developers) is saying that modding "is a large part" and so on, but it seems that Rockstar said the very same, and we see how it's turned out.

And Firaxis who make xcom who are very mod based. Same line.

Also Bethesda who are practically all mods and just release an engine at this stage. They are even gearing up to release paid mods. So not too much of a jump to banning all mods that are not through their store.

All take 2.

There are even more too but those are the big ones.

It is also because of this portfolio of games we love that take 2 do not care about our whining because they have plenty of revenue streams from many developers to rely on even if rockstar goes under from this.

The only way to make the pay attention now would be for the developers to drop take 2.

1 Like

Sad to see these people get caught in the crossfire of Rockstar finally doing something about the awful GTA online modders.
It's also sad that most people wont care in about three or four weeks time.

Here is Rockstar's (Not Take-Two) statement on the matter.

Quote:

"Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players."

Calling malarkey on this one.

3 Likes

You are so wrong here it is laughable.

They have done nothing and continue to do nothing to stop cheaters online. They are, if anything, even worse now as a result of your claimed "doing something" out of retaliation and also proving that no matter what Take 2 try you cannot stop someone determined enough. So thank you take 2 for making GTA Online even worse.

To further OpenIV does not even work on the online component of GTA Online, it cannot, it is a file browser. So no, you are very wrong. This does nothing to stop modders who have their own tools anyway to get around the online checks.

This is just an attack on modders in general out of misguided attpemt to force you to keep buying shark cards. While simultaneously pushing you away for the single player where they cannot tempt you into buying shark card. It is all a cash generating tactic that does nothing to help any one but Take 2.

It is a dispicable act and one that should not be tolerated.

2 Likes

Definitely. "not specifically targeting single player mods"
Sooo they threaten to sue the dev of a tool that is only for single player? Sure, totally logical, right? Bah. Then straight out lie about how OpenIV "allow harassment" of players on GTA Online. Sure dude, whatever. Not that Game devs or especially Publishers has any qualms about lying through their teeth to customers. Keep up the good work!
Fuckers.

5 Likes