Take 2 Have Declared Modding In General Illegal, Cease & Desist Sent Against OpenIV

The recent ratings are overwhelmingly negative now and I'd like to see them go even lower.

3 Likes

That's 20K negative reviews in less than 48 hours.

72% positive overall. It may very well be "mixed" overall by this time tomorrow.

1 Like

The recent reviews are now "Overwhelmingly Negative"

1 Like

Yeah, but the overall ones are still "mostly positive".

well yeah. the game has about 185k positive reviews. gonna take a fair bit to bring that down

20K customers is $1.2 million dollars. I'm sure they're biting nails at this point. Just remember the only thing that matters to these executives is $$$, they will perform fellatio to be primary shareholder in large corporations.

It was only after watching a video of a single player modded gametype that I decided to purchase GTA V,

1 Like

They don't care. These people posting negative reviews will be out to buy GTA 6 as soon as it's released. Gamers have to be some of the most pathetically unprincipled people I've known. They will shout and screen and at the flick of a switch will run for the next carrot put in front of them by game publishers.

It's a non story.

(Obviously not all gamers, you know the kind I'm talking about)

7 Likes

But the speed and volume are the amazing part. It was mostly positive on both 2 days ago. To be able to change mostly positive to overwhelming negative in 2 days, from high 80s-low 90s, 22 thousand reviews over the last 30 days and 2 days sways it this hard this quick, 80%+ negative reviews for a 30 day period in 2 days. That is a hell of a backlash.

Now that it is starting to degrade 200,000 worth of long term positive reviews is practically unheard of in that time period. A fall from grace that has never been seen before.

Unfortunately @Eden is right and I knew it from the start. Take 2 do not care, they have plenty of very high profile developers to keep that cash going.

Even if people held resolve and skipped all future rockstar titles, take 2 would not even notice the effect on their bottom line. But even that is wishful thinking.

Red Dead anything has been wanted on PC for so long that it will set sales records the second it releases, and that is the next game to come from them. It will have the same anti mods, and the same online set up as GTAV, and a similar micro transaction service. Nothing will change.

Add to that the nest Bethesda game(s).
The next Firaxis, xcom expansions/games.
The next Gearbox/Borderlands game.
The next BioShock or what ever they are now.
The next Kerbal Space Program.
And a slew of other games that PC games hold so close to their heart that they do not even realise or refuse to accept that Take 2 are behind them and this is a lost battle all ready, it was never even going to be a problem for Take 2.

Like I said above, the only way they will sit up and take notice is if their developers drop Take 2 and we all know that is not happening. They have discovered how to print money and no developer will pass up a seat on that train.

2 Likes

Absolutely. And the mob mentality so many gamers seems to love to exhibit makes it even worse. Yay, scream and shout about X one day, then scream and shout about Y the next. Super easy to manipulate. And of course always happy to give money to people like Take2. GTA6 will be pre-ordered en mass at exorbitant prices for negligible rewards. I strongly hesitate to call myself a gamer thanks to all the incredibly pathetic people around that do.

A non story indeed.

2 Likes

Now we wait about x amount of time for 20 new mod tools to pop up.

Streisand effect - gotta love it.

PS: I don't even own/haven't even played GTA 5 myself.

1 Like

YIP Look at COD Infinite Warfare and the new COD:WW2

1 Like

Some more news. A response from a member of the OpenIV development team.

So we all know earlier today rockstar gave a statement response to PCgamer website regarding take two's actions and rockstar said they are trying out things and discussing how keep single player mods alive while protecting online players.

Well here is the response openiv team gave back to rockstar.

Here is my comment on this Rockstar's statement:

OpenIV, Liberty City in GTA V and all other mods/projects from my team and me are only specific for Single player. Rockstar must be well aware about the fact that you cannot access GTA Online while you have installed any OpenIV mod:

The statement "Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody", is just wrong and they know it. OpenIV does not allows or supports any kind of GTA Online mods. We always supported Rockstar in their right to protect GTA Online from hacks and cheats. But, Take-Two's C&D was specific for out Singleplayer mods and have no mentions about GTA Online. "

3 Likes

This should not stand. This is just an attack on modders, gamers and honest people just trying to have fun with the product they paid for. But of course that is not enough for them at all. They must force you to stop having your own fun and go online where they can squeeze you for every penny they think they can get away with.

As far as I am concerned, and I enjoyed the online for some time recently, I want to see the online absolutely destroyed over this. I hope is is constantly unplayable, hacks, exploding every one and every thing and flooding every open server with all the hacked cash possible.

If Take 2 see it fit to take the fun out of single player where no one is effected taking single player away from the people. Then it should flow the other way too and the people should take the multiplayer away from Take 2. I actively hope GTA Online is unplayable right now, and I like it, I am happy to see it dead.

Also @billgatez there you have it. The do not care one bit about your online experience. You can stop jumping to their defense. They are crooks.

Rockstar ought to have enough money to move to another distributor or even go alone, so they're dead to me. They've been pissing on PC enough already, but just maybe this is enough to make some dent in their sales.

1 Like

console gamers

/s

steam reviews overall negative now

1 Like

Recent steam reviews. Won't be long until it turns to "Mixed" but at the end of the day, T2 already has their money three times now and most people who bought GTA V are not even aware of this or care because GTA V was so totally like yesteryear. Like oh mah gawd. It is so not cool anymore. I'm waiting for the next big thing to trend on. I also don't know if every PC gamer who bought GTA V were aware of mods being a thing.

The people that are angry about this are in the thousands while GTA V has garnered millions. We are a minority.

Take 2 is just trying to capitalize on feature PC Gamers had for free for the past 12 years.

SAMP & MTA > GTAV Online

1 Like

a short time later

"Oh look, there's now several tools for modding GTA V, and several more being developed, and someones asking for one that allows players to play online on custom servers not controlled by us"

1 Like