Taipei Build Log

The build that I have been investing in the past 9 months is finally complete... While most of the parts that I got since the beginning are in it, my first motherboard (Asrock Z97 Anniversary) turned out to be bad, and past RMA deadline. Today, my motherboard was finally delivered, and I was able to build it without any problems!

Now, I was "originally" [finally] going to go for a black/white build with blue accents, but the motherboard that I ended up getting, the MSI Z97-G45, was red/black, because no other Z97 boards had the mSATA port build in. I suppose I could have gotten an adapter, but I thought this was a little less trouble. I was going to go for the slightly upscale model, the MSI GD-65, but it jumped in price by at least $30 from when I first found it...

I will probably do four upgrades before I call it complete for four or five years - closest and most importantly, the CM Nepton 280L to replace the stock cooler and so I can get a decent overclock. I'll probably put a few quieter PWM fans in it, since the stock NZXT fans are not PWM, and probably a 390X sometime after it comes out, or when the price comes down. Eventually I'll get a 4790K or similar to get out of dual-core territory.

(shiny!)

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 270X 4GB
RAM: Avexir Core 1600MHz 2x4GB
MOBO: MSI Z97-G45
SSD: Crucial M500 480GB mSATA
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: NZXT H440 White/Black
PSU: Corsair CS550M
Wireless: Intel 7260

Monitor: ASUS VS228H
Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (with a few keycaps from a WASD sampler)
Mouse: Corsair M65 pre-gaming branding
Headset: Func HS-260
Controller: PS4 Wave Blue
Chocolate Milk

It might be obvious to others but I am not sure why you needed the mSATA port? was it used by the Intel 7260 card? I just ask since you list no storage devices in your list but I am assuming it is an unnamed SSD at the moment.

Eh, I knew I would forget something, lol.

I have a laptop that had two SSDs, a 128GB and a 480GB. I didn't want to see either of them go to waste, so I moved the 480GB to this rig and am using it as my boot drive. I also have a 1TB hard drive, but I haven't put anything on it yet.

Update 2015/06/22:

I changed some things.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Keyboard: Royal Kludge RC930-87 RGB 55g with Vortex White keycaps
Mouse: Final Mouse 2015
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598s (more on this below)
Microphone: Func HS-260

I OC'd to 4.2GHz at 1.27v. Heat is ~30C at idle and up to 54C while compiling source on Gentoo. I may try to get more out of it in the future.

So, I took apart my Func HS-260s because the headband broke, but I still wanted to use the microphone. I took the headset apart, having to pull off one side of the connecting wire and re-solder (my first solder job). Surprisingly, it still works, despite my horribly messy solder! I haven't done any audio recording tests with it yet, but I know it works. Maybe someday I'll be able to build some casing for it (if I had a 3D printer...). I took the headband from the HS-260s and glued them to my HD598s, since for some reason the headband fell off of that. As a result, my audio setup is wonderfully ghetto.

I also debanded my RK. This keyboard is annoying to put back together - I ended up losing one spring (maybe one key has two - it's hard to tell), so now my right control key doesn't work, not that I ever use it. I still have my G710+ for a fallback if I need it. The keys are slightly more clacky now, though, which is nice. Worth it? Probably not.

Next update will probably be GPU (haven't decided between the 390, the Fury, or the Nano. Whichever gets my attention first) and/or CPU. I still need to find a place to put my cd drive so I don't have to open the front and plug it in every time I want to use it, but I don't think the sata + power is long enough to reach out the back. I'll play around with it for a little

Also, it seems one of the Jetflo fans isn't working. You can see the one furthest from the tubes isn't spinning. I moved it to a sysfan header from the splitter, with the same result. It's a good excuse to get some more fans, anyways. All the case fans are hooked up to the NZXT fan controller that comes with the case, which is hooked straight into a Molex connector, and doesn't even touch the motherboard (they're not PWM, so there's no point). Getting more fans would let me PWM all the things.

P.S. rename based on this song. I think it fits.

Haha

I also like the case, H440 is a favorite of mine.

Ah, you just reminded me, I need to get some more. It's not complete without.

Yeah, it's a pretty nice case - it was a pleasure to build in, especially considering this was my first. I'm glad I don't have to worry about HDD cages or anything. The lack of 5.25" bays is hurting me a little, but it's nothing that can't be dealt with.

That's my biggest issue with it.

Haha, yeah...

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/the-lounge/35439/49342?u=jeol

1 Like