T-Sloted Aluminum Extrusion w/ Glass panels

I started building a new tower recently. I ordered the majority of my parts, except for a case. I decided since I work with glass it would be fun to put some of my trade skills to work and do my own glass case. For the frame of the case I decided on using 20x20mm extruded aluminum with 6mm T-slots. So far as you can see I’ve got the majority of the frame together. Currently the motherboard is attached directly to the frame with m3 screws, thru rubber setting blocks as standoffs. I’ve yet to cut down and mod the motherboard tray that I cannibalized from an 15 year old Thermaltake case I got at goodwill for 5$. Also to be made/cannibalized is a PSU bracket, and hard drive cage. So far its been fun and slightly challenging. Once the frame is computer with all components in their proper place I’ll cut and mount my glass. I already have my power button, led, usb, etc for the front panel. Just haven’t decided on how to mount it yet.
I’ve had a profile on this forum since just after it started I think. This is my first post. Haha.

5 Likes

The black anodized extrusions look great!

For mounting, as you got the T-plates on the outside of the profiles, you could use inserts for the profiles to slot the glass into them.

I did a build using that type of extrusion too, it is surprisingly easy to work with. Link

2 Likes

Nice one!

I would probably bring it down to a SFF build (e.g. uATX / mATX / mITX) but then I am a sucker for small form factor builds. If you are the master of your own case it is definitely possible to design superior airflow, perhaps even emulate the recent Mac Pro airflow design at a mini level with only two case fans. I’d probably try to flatten the design too, something like the Fractal Node 202.

I’m also assuming you already thought about how to keep dust out of the box.

Impressive work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MazeFrame Yeah, I really like the black too.
If it was meant to go in permanently your idea would be great! As it would be worth the extra time to protect the edges of the glass in the channel. I need it to be removable though for ease of maintenance.
So far I’m thinking that I’ll use the outside slots with studs going through the glass and a knurled thumb nut to secure it.

I love the one you built! The amount of detail you went to on that is impressive. It looks amazing.

1 Like

@wertigon Thank you! I’m thinking of using matx when I build one for a home server. Superior airflow is a goal, the way I’ll have my panels though dust prevention is probably not going to happen too easily. Hahaha. I’ll figure out a way to do it at some point.

1 Like

I love this kind of projects. I really hope you will post pictures for each step along the way!
Good luck finishing your case.

2 Likes

@Zszywany I will, I just ordered some more new components for my internals that should be here tomorrow. So tomorrow night I’ll be doing some work to it and I’m hoping I’ll get the frame into its final form.

1 Like

Well I didn’t make much progress on the case this weekend. I ditched the old mobo tray in favor of leaving it mounted the way I had it. I did use the back panel though and found a way to attach it so that I’d have traditional mounting for my GPU’s.
I did manage to get my newest bit of hardware set up for now at least. I decided I wanted to do a bit of an all in one NAS/Linux/Windows PC for this build. So far the build includes:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x (until 3rd gen is released)
Mobo: ASRock x470 Taichi
Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666
GPU(s): EVGA Gtx970 (Old), EVGA RTX 2060
Storage: 500GB WD SN500 NVME, 1TB WD Blk (Old), (2) 2TB WD RE4-GP (Old)
PSU: EVGA 750GQ
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 (old), w/ 2 new NF-A15
Fans: (4) Noctua NF-P12

Anyways, here’s some pictures. I’ll post more as I get more done. Thanks for the support!

3 Likes

This is really freaking neat-o. This project looks like it could use some 3d-printing too, for brackets maybe. Either way the case is looking awesome!

1 Like

Yes dude, yes!!! I would love to do some 3d printed parts for this. Sadly I don’t have the means for that yet so it’ll have to wait for now.

Thank you!

Got a few things done today. Used scrap steel to make some brackets. First was for the PSU, I just cut down the steel to size and drilled some holes for screws. Second I used some PCI slot covers I had laying around, and some pieces of rubber to make mounts for my hard drives. Did some cable management since everything is in its permanent position now.

4 Likes

Holy cow it’s been a busy summer and fall! I haven’t had much time for this project unfortunately. Lots of work, new girlfriend, and all that jazz. I’m slowly getting back to work on it, adding some new parts, coming up with better solutions for mounting hopefully. Need to invest in a 3d printer and do some more research.

4 Likes

I for one just saw this, and would love to see the finished product! I’ll keep an eye on this thread, custom case builds are always interesting to me.

1 Like