System upgrade AMD or Intel

You’ll have to wait for Zen 4 and Ryzen 7000 for an onboard video solution for AMD desktop processors.

End of 2022, more likely 2023.

No onboard video option outside of older zen parts at the moment is a bit rough, but gt710s as a “test” card (or in my case, my old GTX760 or 8800GTS from previous builds) aren’t expensive.

1 Like

No you don’t: 5600C and 5700G are APU’s, just as the 4650G and 4750G of the previous gen Ryzen. These all use VEGA graphics, but it’s still a lot better then a 710 for gaming! For normal office use, it doesn’t matter as much though.

So, not 2023 or 2022, but today :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I think he is referring to that fact that with Zen 4, AMD will have iGPUs on all of their desktop and laptop offerings, allegedly. I saw the announcement the other day.

1 Like

So, I thought that Intel 12 Gen had limited release. My bad. I don’t follow much of what Intel does lately.

So as correction to my earlier post, if you need something now, then Zen 3 is your best bang for the buck. If you can wait, Intel 12th Gen looks interesting. But I would still lean towards AMD since Intel has a habit of limiting your upgrade paths in favor of you spending more money than you want for a minimal gain.

1 Like

Yes, wanted to get across that AMD will have parity with Intel processor default configurations with that generation.

All AMD processors will have a built-in graphics processors on socket.

For my situation, I have no issues with not having on onboard igpu in AMD processors, I consider that a benefit in fact.

Don’t have to configure anything to get the igpu out of the way of my discrete gpus which can be an issue with distributed computing.

And I have more spare gpus sitting on the shelf gathering dust to ever worry about not having a “test” gpu available.

I think this is AMD finally realizing their plans for Heterogeneous Interface for Portability (ROCm). Now a CPU will be able to offload things to the GPU like vector units like a DSP, if the applications are coded that way.

Essentually, it is a concept taken from the Cell BE days. And while this will not be as efficient as Cell BE, CPUs have become much faster and the inefficiencies can be made up with an Out of Order CPU.

It is an exciting time to be alive.

1 Like

I agree, in the next five years, I think we will have a hard time to even recognize what a cpu is.

Thank you all for your great insight to the topic.

Seems it might be good idea to wait for Alderlake/zen+cache announcement, to buy now already released parts cheaper.
Or from panic sale cause “Alderlake is so hot in geekbench” etc. jk

If 5800x were under $400 it would be really nice.

Consider 5600x if you’re stepping up from bulldozer and a 5800x is too much. The performance increase to a 4 core zen2 part would be huge never mind the step to 6 zen3 cores.

1 Like

Currently, Intel wins in the value segment - the 11400(F) has a much better value than either the 3600 or the 5600X.

If you want/need more than 6c12t though, then AMD is the way to go, 5700G, 5800X, 5900X and 5950X are all solid picks and with better performance than Intel 11th gen corresponding series.

There is always the option of waiting - then again, Intel and AMD are going to leapfrog each other plenty the following few years, so, not much sense in waiting more than a couple of months. You might get a few % more bang for the buck at one side or the other. For your use case, either side is a great pick though.

1 Like

It’s been around $393 on Amazon and a couple other places here lately.

1 Like

look at the power/watt though, sure raw performance and features are similar but I hope you like an extra 125w of power and heat in your office.

it only gets worse as you go up the product stack:

6months ago if you needed a new computer and could not wait, I would have said sure go intel. Today things are different as AMD cpu’s are actually available. The difference in TCO in just 1 year vastly favours the AMD. at an average of $0.1 kw/h assuming your like me and run your computers 24/7 the intel will cost you $175 in electricity vs $70 for the AMD. So even if you pay scalper prices today for an AMD cpu you make that money back in less than 1 year.

3 Likes

if you don’t upgrade/replace system components often, then I think it’s important to pick quality components that you can get years out of… without needing to upgrade sooner than you might want.

that makes Alder Lake interesting because then you could get away with incremental component upgrades… assuming you can stay on the same cpu/motherboard. eg - getting a new PCIe 5.0 nvme drive, or new DDR5 mem kit.

You won’t have those options on the AM4 AMD platform. however, if you think you could do a full system upgrade in 3-4 years, then AM4 could be the best bang for the buck today.

1 Like

2c.

PCIe5 might be nice, but if you’re one of those who hold onto systems for 10 years its probably because you’re budget concscious and unlikely to be putting in pcie5 requiring drives or GPUs in your system in the first place.

If you hold onto your PCIe4 system until you need better, being one of those types of users, we’ll likely be on PCIe6 or 7 and the processors available in a new socket will be drastically faster. Non x86/x64 may even be a legitimate option for desktop. NAND flash may not even still be the best option; we might be on something similar to intel’s octane from some other vendor. It might need a different interface.

All your hardware wil likely be out of support and you’re on the wrong end of the hardware failure bathtub curve.

Which is a round-about way of saying “buy what you can see needing for the next 3-4 years, because if you need more down the track it will be a lot cheaper to buy it at that point”.

I was also thinking of now buying 3700 or 5600x and rest of the stuff for it and when my wife’s computer releases the smoke i can get my self maybe used 5800x or 5900x much cheaper and give her the old parts. 5600x would be good for her, she just needs some fast cores for adobe crapware.
In that case the upgrade path would be good to have. and if some parts of her computer says caput before mine, i get reason to upgrade :wink: Generously give her mine. such chivalry!

i talked myself into a 5900x and its total overkill for my use case. I really just game on my desktop. If I want to run VM’s or services I have servers for that.

I would say with any modern 6-8 core CPU 32gb of ram, and a solid gpu like a RX 5700 or higher and unless you have specific use cases it will do 99% of what most people need even gaming.

2 Likes

I went with ryzen 9 over intel for price/performance. All of my machines end up one day being a motherboard and cpu. Without integrated graphics they will be hard to use. I just fired up an i5-2500k for play.

Anything bigger than a 6x core is atm a) tagged with a price premium and b) only worth it if you need the extra cores on that machine. There is a reason the 5600x is so popular. And that’s not because it’s a cheapskate CPU but because it gets so much done for a low price.

Pick the system/cpu you need. And put/upgrade components into that you want where you are willing to pay extra. We are consumers, so we don’t always buy the things we need, but things we want. Totally legit reason. If people would only spend money on cars they need, I’d fear for serious health problems with men in the long term :wink:

If you want a 5950x, buy it. If you don’t want to spend so much money on a CPU you don’t need, then don’t.

But hey, if you don’t feel like wasting your cores, but it to good use, e.g. for science with Einstein@home or other distributed computing projects.