System upgrade AMD or Intel

To not make new thread, i’ll leech here.

I’m about to upgrade my system that has fx8350 and RX580.

As Gpu’s are so insane atm. i will upgrade 580 later, but i will need new rest of the system.

What i have been adding to a cart in online shops and discarding, are mostly, 5600x/5800x, 32gigs of 3600 cl16 ram and some x570 mobo and 1-2Tt nvme ssd.

I have had hard time to make the decission to commit, so i’m asking for opinions about if there is other 8 core cpu’s i should build around than 5800x. I’m pretty sure i wana go with 8 cores for the next five to ten years. ( 5600x 6core is just back up in my plans for availability.) I don’t upgrade hardware often.

Also lately 12 thousand series intel parts seem interesting and the prices are expected to stay quite affordable for those. tho i’m not hot for pushing back my upgrade for these to be released.

Am i looking over for a “better/sane” more affordable solutions?
I’m looking for your input and ideas.

oh and ps.
I’m linux user and content creator. Also i do play and record games. but i do much other things than that, so not a pure gaming system.

1 Like

You can’t go wrong with Intel 12K or AMD 5800X for your use case.

As an AMD shill, I would say that Ryzen is the better buy. With that said, they both contribute to open source so…

I am also on poor dozer. I am waiting for Zen 4 at this point because then maybe the Zen 3 parts will finally be reasonable. I have been trying to jump ship since Zen2 but right when I have the parts selected someone decides to start hoarding all of the tech.

1 Like

Earlier this year I got myself a R7 1700 (non-X), which is an 8-core/16-thread chip, and an AMD Stealth cooler, both from Aliexpress, with an Asus B450M-A Prime and 2x 8GB Transcend RAM from a local (to me :stuck_out_tongue: ) supplier, in all for under 350 bucks (converted). I was lucky I got the CPU for under 150 USD, the same seller now has it listed well over that price (+25%, actually!). The Asus board was a return and I got it from their outlet store with a decent discount, while the RAM was on sale (sadly no more :frowning: )

Moral of the story: don’t jump on the “latest&greatest” bandwagon, pick a solid but fairly cheap intermediate system that’ll last you until prices return to more normal values, although given the enormous price hikes AMD will face come this winter for their raw materials (wafers) it’s probably a good idea to get used to higher prices permanently and accept “cheap PC parts” are most definitely a thing of the past. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

5000 series is going to be a year old soon, alder lake will be fresh and if leaks indicate, will out perform 5000. So maybe wait or not. If you need something now AMD 5000 is great. I have a 5950x and absolutely love it. But intel is still in the competition. and may out perform AMD with alder lake for a short time until ryzen 6000 is out.

1 Like

12th Gen Intel won’t be fully supported on Linux on launch, so don’t expect full performance or efficiency with those Atom cores. That and price premium for DDR5 RAM which have like CL40 + new and untested boards. I’d wait to buy 12th gen Intel until some months have passed since release, so teething problems with boards+chipsets+CPU scheduler are fixed and DDR5 memory offers are more varied.

I recommend getting a Ryzen system. Doing this myself with Threadripper as soon as Lisa announces the new TR5000.

Early adopter tax for Alder Lake 12th gen CPUs (esp. with Linux) is a bit too high for my taste. Unless you’re desperate for massive nvme storage, then the PCIe 5.0 with the few consumer lanes available, Intel might still be an option.

2 Likes

Not atom cores. Intel says the low power cores are similar to skylake performance at a lower power rating. So the low power cores may be as good as ryzen 5000 cores and the high power cores might be better than 5000.

1 Like

You shouldn’t believe marketing bullshit. They may as well take some 2017 Skylake core. The last time Intel has done big/little, the little cores were about 50% the performance of the big ones. That was one or two years ago on mobile platform. And I expect a similar performance gap with 12th gen. Performance cores competitive vs Zen3, little cores for “oh we have 16 cores too!” and for running your Dell+RGB apps in the background on windows.

1 Like

True.

1 Like

@Greggio

I made a new topic for ya.
Because asking questions like that in a topic that aint yours could be confusing.
This new topic would be easier for everybody to keep up with.

3 Likes

I would wait until the end of the year (literally only 120 days) to see what AMD does regarding their stacked cache release.

2 Likes

Anyways my advice if you can still wait for a few months,
then that would probably smarter to do.
Because intel announced some new alderlake cpu´s.
And it could be worth to wait for that.

But Ryzen will still be a sollid choice of course,
which you can´t really go wrong with.
However the only downside is that AM4 is pretty much EOL.
Although that doesn’t really have to be a huge deal.
Just something to keep in mind doe.

1 Like

They won’t be anywhere close to that.
Consider yourself lucky when they are on par with 11th gen mobile cores.

To add a little reason to the above:

If these “artist impressions” are anything to go by, the small cores are less than 1/4 the size of the normal ones. When the big ones are only kind of expected to compete with Zen4, what chance does 1/4 the core stand?

IMO those small-cores are a waste of space.

1 Like

Or AMD does a refresh with Ryzen 5000+ with the V-cache on the dies.
Suspect that will move AMD back in front of Intel 12th Gen at least for multi-thread workloads.

2 Likes

Have we even seen actual benchmarks from Intel 12th Gen yet? The performance delta between Ryzen and i7/i9 is almost nothing but the performance/watt is heavily in favour of AMD at the moment.

It all comes down to the use case and if there are specific instruction sets or functions the user requires when debating Intel vs AMD. I would get the best value CPU and if I was not upgrading for a long time then performance/watt is part of that math.

2 Likes

Lots of benchmarks leaks into the benchmark databases so far.

1 Like

but nothing official? I dont tend to pay too much attention to leaked benchmarks because they often are applications that make the leaker look good to drive traffic or create buzz.

No official benchmarks from Intel. Why would you think there would be before official release date or embargo lifts?

Official for me means 3rd party reviewers to me, but yeah i dont expect anything until after the embargo.

Well given the hardware isn’t out yet, and requires major scheduling updates to work properly which have not been demonstrated to work in Windows 11 yet, never mind Windows 10… I’d say looking forward to Alder lake is… premature.

The problem they’re trying to solve (correctly schedule workload to the right core size) is a brand new problem for x86 and software takes time to get right. Even if we give Windows 11 the benefit of the doubt, there’s a whole application ecosystem with its own quirks to worry about.

Threadripper had all sorts of scheduling problems with Windows on release and that’s a much simpler case to optimise for as it was essentially a couple of sockets inside a single socket - the scheduling logic was mostly already existing for dual socket machines.

Different core sizes in the same machine? Not something Windows has had to deal with previously.

If’ you’re willing to treat the 24 thread intel parts as if they’re 16 thread well… OK. But expecting 24 thread intel to perform as well as 24 thread AMD on legacy software (i.e., basically all of it) in highly threaded scenarios prior to release is a bit of a leap imho. You know intel are going to be pricing them against AMD’s 24 thread parts.

5 Likes

Key question: How long since your last upgrade? If it’s ~10yrs, I wouldn’t plan for later upgrades, just do it up front and sit happy.

I upgraded to amd from intel, and the one thing that caught me was no onboard video (wtf). If the videocard gets silly, it’s nice to be able to boot into the desktop without it.

4 Likes