System stall/freeze on Intel Ultra 7 258v laptop

Hi all

I got this Asus Zenbook s14 laptop a few months ago and after the initial setup and updates I switched to linux.

In the beginning everything was great but since ~November 2025 I started experiencing random total system freezes/stutters.

I couldn’t find a pattern but I can replicate it mostly after the laptop is being used and then left to idle for like 30 sec. Then I get a total system freeze and the screen dims. It’s stalling and stuttering intermittently for about a minute after which everything goes back to normal for a while.

I am now on Omarchy and it’s still happening. Btop shows a process called btrfs-cl spike during the freezes. It spikes as high as 12-13% CPU usage, sometimes draining considerate amounts of battery and heating up to the point it starts the fans.

I tried both i915 and XE drivers, happens with both. I am on Kernel 6.18.6 now.

1 Like

So then dont use btrfs? Seems like your system just cant handle the overhead.

I just got my first total system freeze that was unrecoverable and I had to hard reboot.
Not sure if btrfs is the cause of the issue but I did ran a journalctl and this is what i found.
Can you interpret/advise, these are too technical for me.





1 Like

These do not appear to be the logs of a total system freeze. Although i do like you including the timestamps here. normally logs are in seconds since boot and i have to do math in my head.

Can you get the logs from immidiatley after one of these freeze events?

8 dimm slots on a laptop!?

Oops, here are the most recent logs:





1 Like

what is home1.service? ive never heard of that. looks very spooky
looks like youve got some malicious software running. as the x86 perf bias got changed from performance to normal, usually you always want it set to performance and just allow acpi cpufreq or intel pstate to throttle up and down as needed for battery efficiency.

Omarchy has this thing to manually adjust power profiles. Also it automatically switches to performance when plugged in and then power saving when unplugged but I manually switch to Balanced. I don’t know what home1.service is.

1 Like

This CPU has on package LPDDR5 so I guess this is just the number of channels the memory controller has.

@Myaghi There is a longer thread on this forum discussing Lunar Lake (Core Ultra 2xxV CPUs) on Linux; maybe there are some hints there: Suspend w/ Linux on Lunar Lake (2024 MSI Prestige 13 AI+ Evo A2VM)

But this looks like an issue of compatibility of the kernel with the Lunar Lake platform. Probably you upgraded a kernel version in november that had some regression?

1 Like

Regression causing laptop acpi issues. A classic. I thought the kernel got passed that stereotype like, 15 years ago!?

Always keep your old kernels handy. Reverting after an update might become mandatory.

1 Like