System crash after RTX 3070 install

Hello,

My system crashed once after Asus Dual GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6, 256-bit install. I was playing Fallout 76 for a few hours with no problems after the install, GPU temps in the low 60°C, after that I tried the Assassin’s Creed Valhalla benchmark and noticed some dipping in frames. I turned V-sync on and ran the benchmark again, temps where in the mid 60 when the PC went completely OFF, no restarting no power to anything. Managed to get it started after I switched the power supply OFF for a few seconds and then back on. PC started normally and no more problems since (on day later). Any suggestions on what might have happened, new drivers are installed and PC specs are:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 4150 Mhz, 8 Core(s)
BaseBoard Product MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32)
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM Corsair 32GB (2x16) @3000MHz
PSU Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Platinum, Full Modular

Thanks in advance for your support!

Sounds like a power supply overload to me. But that’s just a guess.

I read somewhere that the new Nvidia 3000 GPUs swing their power load from very high to very low much faster than other cards in the past, so the PSU may not react fast enough and hit over-current protections.

4 Likes

Happened 2 more time while playing Assassin’s Creed to my colleague today, he just told me

I doubt it.
2700x’s don’t draw enough.

Unless OP has 4 or more HDDs in his system.

Edit:
Or do they?
If he is running 4.15GHz all-core, then >200W is certainly possible.

Edit 2: As per GNs Review, a 2700x at 4.2GHz draws close to 200W, stock 140W.
Could be the 60W that is tripping OCP.

it is likely the psu – current inrush protection is too aggressive and tripping. not that your psu isnt 650 w just that the card demands so much power so fast the overcurrent trips.

6 Likes

Thanks for the replay, is there anything that I can do to change that or I have to wait for an update from nVidia?

try using something to reduce the power draw of the card a few %

I used MSI Afterburner (Asus GPU Twek II is broken) to turn Power Limit down to 90% and seems to be OK now. Nvidia really got this lunch wrong… good for AMD and good for me because I have a 60 day return policy no questions asked on the 3070 and I can’t wait to see what AMD can do. I was really disappointed with nvidia and all their misleading info, lack of stock…

The focus plus line is known to have issues when near capacity too. OCP tripping a little too quickly.

Thanks for the advice, I already sent Seasonic an email, waiting on an answer now.

This was there answer, even thou the PC works fine most of the time.

A mid range graphics card requiring a 750w psu… what year is this again?

This makes me want to do some power draw testing on my bench at work with some different cards.

2 Likes

Well hes wrong but also not wrong. You should have more PSU headroom.

official specs are 650w required.

1 Like

I can play Fallout 76 for hours on ultra and I have no problems, if it was a power supply limit this was not possible, when I got the fail is in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, a newer game that probably pushes the GPU in some weird way.

different games will actually have power draws that can differ as much as 50w even if the gpu is showing 100% load in all scenarios.

basically comes down to that.

Its not about overall wattage, its a transient load issue tripping OCP.

Dont believe me thats fine. I’m just some idiot on the internet afterall.

1 Like

In the end Seasonic admitted they have a problem with my PSU and newer GPU’s, they checked my SN and advised me to do an RMA… and of curse they’re site has a problem with the RMA page… Hopefully I can get y PSU replaced with a newer version.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.