System boots but no UEFI screen and no Grub menu

Hey All,

I have a dual boot of Windows 10 and Arch Linux. For some reason, my boot order changed to boot into Windows (maybe after Windows update). It used to always show the Gigbyte logo and boot to GRUB partition but changed to directly boot into Windows. After this happened, I was having trouble getting into UEFI to change it back. it would boot into the BIOS screen but I could not see it. I have two GPUs on this system hooked up to the same monitor. I finally found out that if I change to display option 2, boot into UEFI then change back over to display option 1. I can see it! So, I switched back to GRUB and it works. However, I never see the Gigabyte AORUS logo (I used to always see this) and I never see the grub menu… It just goes straight to the Linux login screen. I didn’t change anything hardware-wise, just went on a long time where I exclusively booted into Windows for gaming. Does anyone have any ideas about what may be going on here? I would like to see the grub menu so I can boot into Windows periodically from there. I may install one of the GPUs to see if that works.

Some settings:

• I know in the BISO the screen should be initializing on PCIE lane one and connected to display option 1.
  • Fast boot disabled
  • Secure boot disabled
  • No hibernation or fast boot in Windows

Is CSM enabled?

1 Like

CSM is disabled.

If Linux is the default boot from grub, did you try and increase the timeout length in /etc/default/grub? And checked it did not have “quiet” in the Linux= options?

I don’t mean to be an idiot, but you also know how to get to BIOS from inside windows, by either holding shift and restarting? Or there is an actual “reboot to UEFI” menu item somewhere in the settings/control menu of Windows.
(If you needed an easier way to guarantee BIOS on boot, instead if mashing keys. Then correcting boot order back to grub)
Again, I don’t mean to condescend. You installed Arch for effs sake, you got this…

2 Likes

Yeah I can get into the UEFI:

$ systemctl reboot --firmware-setup

But I have to make sure I switch the display to option 2, wait till it reboots, and switch back to option 1. I will try increasing the timeout. That is a good tip. My guess is that I will be able to access the GRUB screen, but I will have to make sure I switch to display 2, reboot, and switch back to display 1. Because that is what I have to do to get BIOS to work.

1 Like

Update:

I actually cannot boot into UEFI anymore. The following command just reboots normally into Linux.

$ systemctl reboot --firmware-setup

• I tried taking out the second GPU: same behavior.
  • I tried increasing the timeout: same behavior (just takes longer to reboot)
  • reinstalled grub: same behavior

So the original problem, is that the system would not boot to the right device?

Is that still the case?
Personally, I would not worry further at the moment, if the boot order is currently correct.

Obviously not being able to get in to UEFI is a little troubling.
You could try EFI manager, and modify the boot order that way?

You could try and pull the data drives / boot drive, and see if it goes to "no boot media detected " and does not let you get to the UEFI.

In that case, prolly clear the CMOS.

I’m just spitballing here, I’ve had problems with the UEFI only showing on certain outputs, but not a problem getting in to it

Yes, I would prefer to boot to Linux and it now does. But now I am not able to boot into Windows because I cannot see the grub menu or get into UEFI.

I really don’t want clear CMOS but may need to. I may try changing the next running boot option with efibootmgr for now. I have never used it before. Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

I don;t mean to be a pain, but I kind of learn new things, by hearing from others.

I’ve not had this problem before, so good to know what does and does not work.

I’ve only had a few systems before, and there are only so many things I’m willing to break learn from :slight_smile: