Sysadmin Mega Thread

The BSD rc script setup is really very elegant, and anybody interested in shell scripting would be well advised to check them out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So just a bit of a heads up for people who manages company laptops/desktops from Dell and potentially other vendors.

The recent intel vulnerability fix “SMM Security Mitigation” will cause PCs to instantly lock up if you attempt to update TB3 or TPM firmware.

Remember to disable it in BIOS.

There is currently no scriptable workaround on Dell’s end of things with all their fancy tools.

1 Like

On good hardware pfsense has been very stable for me. I was having crash issues requiring reboot when my pfsense was on a J1900 build. Turns out the J1900 Celeron has a bus issue.

1 Like

@SgtAwesomesauce found you.

2 Likes

Thing of beauty.

Editing a bunch of VM configs to change from 8 cores to 2 and from 16GB memory to 8GB , the easy way:

$ virsh list --all |
awk '$2 ~ /CURRENT.*[^w]$/ { print $2 }' |
xargs -L1 env EDITOR="sed -i '' -e 's|>8<|>2<|' -e 's|>$((16<<20))<|>$((8<<20))<|'" virsh edit
Domain FreeBSD-13_0-CURRENT-r355889 XML configuration edited.

Domain FreeBSD-13_0-CURRENT-r356085 XML configuration edited.

Domain FreeBSD-13_0-CURRENT-r356261 XML configuration edited.

Domain FreeBSD-13_0-CURRENT-r357002 XML configuration edited.

Domain FreeBSD-13_0-CURRENT-r357276 XML configuration edited.

Domain FreeBSD-13_0-CURRENT-r357847 XML configuration edited.

Domain FreeBSD-13_0-CURRENT-r358133 XML configuration edited.
3 Likes

whats the easiest way to get wireshark to capture traffic so you can capture content you see in your browser?

https://wiki.wireshark.org/TLS#Using_the_.28Pre.29-Master-Secret

So, i have been tasked to set some basic physical threat sensor (basic door sensor) on every rack door on our cold corridor.
Before i start digging, i was wondering if you had any positive experience with a product/brand ? Obviously, focus is on reliability.

1 Like

I didn’t know you could put arbitrary things in EDITOR like that. What’s the function of the empty string after the -i?

FreeBSD requires the arg to -i

Required for what?

required for you to not have a backup file with the suffix “-e” appended to the filename

2 Likes

Oh ha. Verified.

1 Like

benefits of being a “Mac Guy” at work

getting booze for installing an SSD in a user’s home machine (an old upgradable macbook pro) then running through macOS installer from the internet.

no drivers, no creating install media, etc. Just hold option key and boot from network.

:smiley:

4 Likes

I can do that at my house too*.

*Disclaimer: I may have a pxe boot server hidden somewhere.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for someone to make a pxe boot server as a phone app. Or maybe it exists finally.

1 Like

mac doesn’t need a PXE boot server :+1:

dhcp to internet connection from UEFI (either wired or WIFI), select boot system recovery

IODD/Zalman is still preferable, but net recovery is great in a pinch.

1 Like

Sooo yes… but when the Fu*k will they reboot it with something else then micro usb 3 ! That damn connector hold nothing and always unplug at the wrong time. i have to treat my Zalman like it was a card castle if i need to move it
:rage:
So I’ve made a small portable RPI/PXE thingy, it does require to charge a batteries, but Ethernet won’t “unplug” in the middle of an install, or a partition recovery … (if you didn’t break the little lock tab :facepalm:)

There are phone apps that turn your phone into a LiveCD, it’s not quite pxe boot, but pretty close.

This one requires root:

5 Likes