Sysadmin Mega Thread

You just taking a spin with it or have a purpose for this particular system?

Fedora 30 is pretty bulletproof for me so far. Updated with the new job and new laptop. Only problem I have is not Fedora or Linux related just thunderbolt docks being shit.

Printing on Linux has become the easiest thing in the world in the last couple years honestly. Havenā€™t run across a printer yet that took more than a minute to set up driverless IPP on.

Whatā€™s even better is that all the stuff I work with offer web panels and not windows only apps so I barely use my VM for anything but email and one note.

2 Likes

CentOS is even a viable desktop now that itā€™s on a reasonable kernel. I might actually switch to that the next time Solus angers me. Iā€™d go with Fedora, but the major releases are too frequent for me. Major CentOS releases are so infrequent and support term so long, it might as well be rolling.

Can you mirror the boot drive easily in the installer? Itā€™s seemingly impossible to do this one simple thing in most OS installers I find. FreeBSD lets you do it and I sorely miss this feature elsewhere. I suspect that ZFS should make this a no brainer for the installer to handle.

Proxmox does it.

What other installers support ZFS at all besides FreeBSD, Proxmox and now Ubuntu?

1 Like

Not specifically talking about installers with ZFS support. Just installing Debian for example itā€™s a manual process to mirror the installation across multiple disks.

1 Like

Oh yeah, forgot how annoying that is. I havenā€™t installed a debian distro on hardware in a while.

For the performance nuts:

4 Likes

So Iā€™ve been wearing my network engineer hat lately. Have a good plan together I think.

ISP Fiber connection for WAN to my Meraki MX84 which will handle DHCP, VPN, Firewall and subnetting.

3 subnets for 3 of the companies I manage so a VPN tunnel for each network.

My 2 managed switches will handle the VLANs for 2 companies. My AD will control DNS and VPN authentication and GPOs.

Took me a couple days to plan it out but the fun part begins with implementation.

2 Likes

Sounds similar to something Iā€™d do but with fancier hardware.

What kind of tunnels are you using?

Neat, this is one of those things that when you take the time to figure out how to get everything combined and sized right works beautifully, hence the years of refining.

If I had the hardware to spare this would be fun to try, just for a hootā€¦ Thanks for sharing!

Did the mutter/Wayland/VNC implementation ever make it into Gnome? There was buzz about it earlier this year, but I canā€™t find anything about actually using it.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Mutter/RemoteDesktop

In GNOME 3.26, screen casting and remote desktop functionality is not enabled by default. To enable, it needs to be enabled both on compile time and run time.

On most distros, you might just be able to use gsettings to enable it.

1 Like

Hmm, I wonder if itā€™s actually in any mainstream distros yet. Iā€™ll spin up a Fedora VM and check it out at some point.

I could try it. Iā€™ve got the 19.10 beta running on one of my laptops, for testing. Iā€™ll give it a go and let you know.

EDIT: If Iā€™d read the whole article, Iā€™d see:

This feature is no longer experimental as of GNOME 3.30 so if youā€™re using GNOME 3.30, you can ignore this section.

3.34 is Ubuntu 19.10

Also, it looks like Ubuntu 19.10 is still on X11. :frowning:

Shame.

I thought non-lts Ubuntu had been Wayland for a while.

Apparently not this build.

Oh, itā€™s not default. Lemme switch over.

Yeah, Iā€™m not able to get that test file working on wayland either. :confused:

Well I was going to use the Meraki built in VPN client but after a lengthy phone call apparently itā€™s not a feature to have a tunnel for each subnetā€¦ So now my VPN plan is out the window. I may use the Meraki VPN for the main network and give the company that needs their own a Pi with Open VPN.

So thatā€™s throwing a whole wrench in my plan, which needs to be tested and ready by yesterdayā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s shame. I have several tunnels that converge in my colo and I really like that setup.

I havenā€™t tried it yet, but wireguard is supposed to be really great. I will probably replace openvpn with it at some point. Performance is much better and code base much simpler.

Yeah I didnā€™t even check if it was available or not it just seemed like such an obvious feature. Apparently itā€™s been requested by Meraki for a while and they have been working on it.

1 Like