Sysadmin Mega Thread

Bug maybe?

1 Like

I wonder if Synology is just insanely aggressive about its default gateway to reduce customer complaints related to stale leases that they donā€™t understand. Every second though seems overboard. I looked to see if there was an obscure ā€œminimum leaseā€ option in dhcpd.conf but no dice.

This is mostly for a drop in compatibility reason. There are also times you need to do this with a real time OS. Like breaking out of the application and setting system resources using the array of pointers function of C, which is otherwise strongly not advised.

But HUMANS are going to abuse things because it is there. You can set your environment to never run these things though.

But that was the beauty of C. I could debug anything I wanted because of that freedom of choice. I just hope with this push for better code that it doesnā€™t hurt us engineers on the tin

Same here, but after having gone through peopleā€™s spaghetti code, I think that I welcome our code safety enforcement overlords. Just because you can write code does not mean that you should. Most of the things that I have had to fix looks like carpentry fail posts on Reddit.

BYOD is dead. Iā€™ve been noticing this trend.

I work for a company which allocates my work to another company. Company B uses the dreadful Citrix Workspace crapware and has recently implemented something named App Protection which is kinda like an even more soulless version of anticheat you find on games. It hooks into the OS API and prevents the user from taking screenshots, recording screens and also looks into stuff like keyloggers and so on.

The problem? This breaks lots of shit. Just imagine how anti cheat companies take a lot of criticism from being intrusive and slowing system and take into account that those companies are gaming focused making products for high performance systems. Now imagine Citrix, a crappy corporate dinosaur from the 90s trying to do a similar product. Have a 4090 and game is running at 2FPS. Yeap thatā€™s Citrix.

But hey just use it from a VM. You can pretty much do whatever you want including the stuff that shit is meant to prevent you from like screenshot. It will run blissfully without a care. Itā€™s just a stupid feel good piece of tech meant for managers to feel fuzzy while users suffer through its bullshit. Its not enough that people who work through Citrix develop some time abstraction layer to take into account the latency of that crap.

Seriously Citrixā€¦ just die already and take your shitty early 2000s crapware tech with you.

Now letā€™s talk about company A. They are bread and butter MS stuff. So I needed to use lovely Microsoft Teams to speak with HR. Since I have a work VM Iā€™ll use it. Waitā€¦ company B App Protection blocks Teams from running on the client side.

Ah well letā€™s install a VM specifically to communicate with company A. Simple right? So I was installing the new stuff Iā€™ve noticed Teams Desktop mentioned something about a requirement where ā€œcompany B needs to be able to manage the deviceā€. Alright whatever letā€™s go with it.

It forced me to enable Hello, and restarted my computer. So after reboot it seems teams applied a bunch of GPOs on my personal computer (VM). How the hell a terrible excuse for a chat program has so much control over the OS?

This is all ridiculous. Iā€™m not letting these creeps near any of my personal devices. I even isolated those VMs on a separate network so they donā€™t get some fun ideas of scanning the security of my home network.

4 Likes

Citrix workspace has been a thing for quite a while, Iā€™ve noticed that its been used for years here in Canada in our health sector.

BYOD being dead is likely due to conflicts with security as companies are realizing that humans have terrible security practices and it is far better to have a slow inefficient process than to have a costly security breach.

3 Likes

IMO if thatā€™s the case then just give people locked down laptops instead of applying GPOs to they personal devices.

Company A distributes surface laptops for their employees. Company B gave me some bulky Lenovo office machines which I donā€™t use because I live in a tinny soviet block apartment.

Citrix workspaces keeps teh data located in one location, giving users lockdown laptops still poses the risk of data leakages with local files.

1 Like

Connection log doesnā€™t matter. What they donā€™t want is the risk of leaking customer data or other business related information hence the protection against screenshot. But again itā€™s shit because it happily runs on a VM.

Itā€™s corporate crapware of the highest magnitude and I heard the company is going down in flames.

Well more like a dedicated server that creates windows desktop instances and serves it to you over the network. Once again, it keeps all the data located on their servers to prevent leakages. If my workplace wasnā€™t so compute heavy, using Citrix workspace would be a dream, no more dealing with setting up your settings on your laptop.

If you have a laptop you can lose it / defeat locks easier than a VM on the cloud/on your companies net.

1 Like

Also not sure how this really relates to sysadmin mega thread. This thread is more admin type functions / support then complaining about how some company runs their stuff imo

1 Like

Guys Iā€™m talking about the client side. There is no relevant data on the client side.

Well Iā€™m trying to do my sysadmin job. Itā€™s also relevant how companies are heavy handed with BYOD style configurations and also how these security measures are moot. No point in allowing BYOD if you are going to take ownership of the user device.

1 Like

No point in BYOD in general. Iā€™m heavily against it because of how heavy handed we need to be to the device if we want to be ISO certified. There is also the policy of compensation.

2 Likes

Yeah I have my work laptop on the guest network for that reason. Surprisingly though, they let us do a lot of things (Teams for instance) in browser, so I just do that if I feel like being on my personal.

2 Likes

That might not fly with high skilled contractors. Iā€™m nopping the hell out of this as soon as project ends.

Most likely itā€™s not that they allow it but they donā€™t know or have no incentives to dedicate manpower to restrict it.

1 Like

ā€œBy the way, I use Archā€¦ā€ see how well that goes over with their IT team.

1 Like

Well what it matters is that you can use git and a text editor.

Is there anybody here that knows of a good PURELY HTML5+CSS3 front page or landing page template

Simple requirement:

NO scripting or JS of any freakin kind