Sysadmin Mega Thread

Yeah. Gotta transcribe the ones and zeros onto stone tablets for future generations.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what youā€™re referring to. Cisco invented most of the network switching/routing protocols, and in many cases allowed standardization of a watered-down version.

Cisco has worked pretty well for me. Typically more capable and higher backplane speeds than cheaper competitors. Meanwhile, my Brocade switch will always block the Ubiquiti switches from a random couple VLANs, after one of the other is reloaded, until I push some config updates, then they start talking again. Multi-vendor networks always have bumps.

1 Like

To eachā€™s own I guess. In the civilian world, it has been rare for me to work with Cisco devices. In the Government world, Cisco (was) king but there are just some things that other vendors do betterā€¦ and that is where the headaches come in. Especially when you are using Cisco extended protocols.

1 Like

Anyone us Foreman?

I am trying to find some good management software for a pile of VMs. I checked out Ubuntu Landscape but I didnā€™t realize it was a paid product. I checked out Spacewalk but it has been discontinued. Foreman looks nifty though.

Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Alternatives?

AFAIK foreman is kinda dead/dying as well.

Spacewalk did die, but there are forks available from Oracle and SUSE for a 2.10 version.

If you use RHEL family stuff there is AWX.

No idea what the 'Buntu people do.

2 Likes

https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/commits/develop

The commit log seems fairly active. I dunno.

Sorry, the project itself not dead, but whether anyone actually uses it or not.

Since the industry is kinda moving on from that style of management.

Might be worth getting a poll setup cuz I honestly have no idea.

1 Like

Ahh, fair enough.

I think these sort of traditional management planes are going away in lieu of tools like Ansible and Salt.

1 Like

Man, itā€™s hard to keep up with this stuff. Iā€™m just barely catching up to this and the ā€œcool kidsā€ have already moved on

3 Likes

Itā€™s a ratrace, for sure.

FWIW, some of the cool kids have moved on from servers entirely.

At the end of the day, just use what makes sense for your requirements and what youā€™re confident will reliably get the job done for the duration of itā€™s service life.

It is true though that things are moving more and more towards infrastructure as code.

3 Likes

You mean Serverless functions with static hosting and backends with Firebase?

1 Like

Yeah, I was talking to an operations manager at Intuit last night and he said his AWS bill is almost entirely serverless: lambda, sagemaker and redshift.

2 Likes

Only the old people use Docker.

Pretty soon theyā€™re going to just beam this shit right into our heads.

5 Likes

Kubernetes? Boomer tech.

Everyone uses trans-cranial electro-stimulation these days.

2 Likes

Cyberpunk 2077 really nailed it with the BDā€™s (BrainDanceā€™s).

4 Likes

Just wait till thereā€™s a container breakout exploit on the outdated version of podman that your optics are using and the virus exploits your optics to translate all text to pig latin.

And Iā€™ve successfully derailed the sysadmin thread :joy:

3 Likes

Puppet Question:

Does anyone have a doc or advice for reading in facts passed from a node to a puppet master in a External Node Classifier?

Essentially, I need to read a fact from the node which is being processed to generate the needed YAML, but I donā€™t know how to access the facts in the ENC.

i thought Oracle picked up spacewalk and continued with it?

Anyone use rackn before?

Hello again

Got an update on the disaster of an infrastructure. If you thought that it canā€™t get worse, then oh boy strap inā€¦

Good news:

• Had a meeting with the CEO, CEO had almost a heart attack after being told about the security holes and supported my actions, also giving me 2 times bigger budget than I requested
  • CTO is fully supporting me in getting new hardware as well as the VP of Engineering
  • Somehow got the CRO and COO on-board
  • Will be getting two TrueNAS R20 servers from iXs
  • Upcoming meeting with finance dept to replace their 2012 terminal server within a year
  • Got Zabbix in dev environment running with Ansible playbook I wrote
  • Did some audits, yeeted out employees no longer working there from system
  • Got put in the charge of the audit

Bad news:

• The audit got pushed back so no idea when that will be
  • The ā€œsecond datacenterā€ is a wardrobe closet in an office with stacked Gen 8 Proliant miniservers on top of each other
  • Firewall had set a rule exposing the management interface and SSH to the outside world with password login only, I yelled at person responsible to fix that
  • Nobody knows what process I need to go through to purchase the servers
  • Iā€™m being piled on all of the helldesking tasks tech support and system and accessories procurement, and also having to unspagettify the code the previous guy used for ā€œautomatingā€ via google script
  • Most automation is using Excel as a database
  • Primary DC is straight up from the 90s looking with the equipment. Mix of 100 and gigabit network connections and the whole thing needs to get modernised
  • pfSense living on a server thatā€™s straight up way too overkill (72GB of ECC Memory, dual performance Xeons totalling 40 cores, 2TB ZFS RAID on enterprise spinning rust)
  • WAN and LAN pushed through a SINGLE gigabit interface with a shitload of VLANs, while thereā€™s FOUR unused NIC ports

Everyone already joking that Iā€™m tearing everything down (but to be honest I am) and management already telling me to calm down with the work

6 Likes