Sysadmin Mega Thread

I was comparing them to regular desktop 7200 RPM HDDs, like old WD Blues or Seagate Barracudas (do they even make those anymore?). They are a lot louder, but obviously, not louder than the server fans (especially the 1U ones, those things scream).

For now, the HDDs have been pretty quiet, but obviously they aren’t doing much. 50% remaining of the smart long test.

Is the large capacity ones just the loud ones? I just have a measly 4TB Non-pro IronWolf and it its quietly in my consumer case

I have some of those and are really disappointed, 3 of them died recently, one after 2y and 8 month the other 3y and 1 or 2 month so outside of warenty.
Plus the one replaced in warenty was DOA and I had to get another one.

For 350$ drive … they juste barely last there warenty time, that’s for me a 4200$ budget of disk every 3y… I will try toshiba next.

1 Like

Now I’m starting to feel worried.

The exos were 3TB, the IronWolfs were 2TB, but those were older models. The ones I bought are 10TB ones and they sound terrible from time to time, like earlier when I ran a smartctl, but not now when I run the same command. I’ve just now started badblocks on them, they seem very quiet, but this is a sequential write from block 0 to the last block. I wonder how they will sound when I’ll be doing random r/w on them. I hope not as crunchy / scratchy.

they should not sound that bad tho.
Mine are noisy but that’s it.
I can’t give you a good sound record because the fan noise overpower it…

1 Like

The drives have been running for 76 hours now, with just -p 2 option. Interestingly enough, sda is 90% ready, while sdb is only 77% ready, they were all in sync when I started than (+/- 0.01%).

Currently no errors being reported, I can barely wait for the stress test to finish and start moving data. I still have no answer for:

1 Like

I recently installed TrueNAS Scale and I am loving it but this keeps popping up and I am bothered. Is my chipset/PCIe dying?

How much concerned should I be? I only have Nextcloud, Jellyfin and Navidrome installed as apps, no VMs and have a few SMB shares

PCIe errors (AER / BadDLLP error) 21.08? | TrueNAS Community ?

PCI ID 1969:e091 matches to the killer NIC from Atheros, so I’d probably try another network card if you’ve got one and see if that fixes it.

2 Likes

I do have an onboard Killer NIC. So I guess it is less catastrophic.

i won’t lie, when it come to linux, i only use intel nic…
That’s why i don’t have 10G base T on my desktop, there is no motherboard with intel 10GB that isn’t for server and aquantia like Killer don’t seam to have great linux implementation.

1 Like

Hi people,

RHEL question! I spawned virtual functions for my SR-IOV capable NIC. The resulting network interfaced are not named consistently , some are named with the scheme ethX some are named after scheme enpXsY. I want to force the latter for all interfaces, how would I go about doing that?

Udev rules iirc

there used to be a rpm package that dealt with nic naming… but i cant remember what it was

Thank you both, I cheated the system by destroying and creating the devices again. This way they were names consistently.

> work for investment bank
> much regulated very strict
> demonstrating monitoring tool
> tool collects metrics from website js includes and phone app
> cool world heat map showing geographic user statistics
> shades from white to red
> Russia is red
> Oh wait Russia is red...
> Everyone is silent...
6 Likes

Here is the actual documentation. So if you have multiple network adapters getting automatically generated you really should attempt to have a permanent solution in place to ensure device naming consistency.

Anyone ever had to remove RRtype 44 (SSHFP) DNS records from MSDNS?

I’ve tried the remove-dnsrecord cmdlet in powershell and the GUI to remove the record but it can’t saying “The record cannot be deleted. The record type is unknown.”

I was going to use the nsupdate tool to remove it.

Has anyone used nsupdate to remove SSHFP records from MSDNS? Or, has anyone sucessfully removed these from a MSDNS server before?

Any advice?

cotton

I was able to use nsupdate to remove the unknown records. Never used that tool before. But as a heads up, if you ever have uknown RRtype in MSDNS, you can use that tool remove them, whereas you can’t from the GUI or powershell.

4 Likes

So I am looking at the TrueNAS Scale App list and I have included TrueCharts. Then I realized that There are also other places to get maintained Docker images. One of the larger userbases that I have seen is from linuxserver.io

Now from my limited understanding is, official Docker images are the way to go and in the case of TrueNAS, official docker images from the ix-application repository. Right now, there are only a few of them (8 apps). I would like add some more (namely the linuxsever.io) but before I do add more, any general helpful insights?