Sysadmin Mega Thread

I think I came across that a few days ago. Concerned about the last updated in 2016 lol. But! Can’t hurt to try.

@Adubs lmao. Although, you might be on the right track. Maybe we should introduce ourselves and how we got into this field?

1 Like

Actually, looks like it never got off the ground. Last commit 2011…

1 Like

:tired_face: Damn the man!

I’ll see how Proxmox does it.

2 Likes

@AnotherDev
I’d also say to check out how Redhat does it with RHEV… but it wont hurt to check out how proxmox does it. ( iirc corosync + something else)

1 Like

Yeah, that’d be helpful to give everyone context.

Hi, I’m oO.o. I work in the print/photography department of an ad agency and spend all day in the dark working in Photoshop. I have an IT side business that I am growing and hope to eventually switch to as my main profession. I don’t get a lot of sleep.

My IT clients are all small post production businesses where I used to freelance. I exclusively administer Mac user environments with Linux and BSD servers. I typically use KVM or ESXi for virtualization and Ubiquiti Edgemax for network.

I have 1/4 rack of colo I use for testing, offsite storage and some services.

3 Likes

Is RHEV downstream ovirt?

maybe…

Name: Novasty

How I got into this field?
When I was 12+ I really got into computers, experimented with Ubuntu, played around with reinstalling my OS a few times, learned to create bootable USBs, tried learning Visual Basic 6.0, etc. The direction it headed was more towards hardware and systems more than programming which lead to me going to a technical school for Information Technology: Computer Systems (fancy name for SysAdmin school).

I currently work as a Systems Administrator at a software company that provides and support geo-scientific information systems software.

7 Likes

Okay, good to know I am not completly off.

We have:

• Foundry Networks (because we did not get rid of those old hunks yet)
  • Quanta (one is currently abused as core)
  • Avaya (CLI is funky…)
  • D-Link (can do a little, nothing fancy. Mostly used for the tournament PCs).
  • Tenda (unmanaged, good to have at times)

SAN is not a primary concern, low latency due to the e-sports things happening is of higher importance.

WLAN in the LAN-Party network is on equall priority as is getting a real core switch.
The Avaya Switches we have can somehow be made to output PoE (720W total, 15W per port. They got MASSIVE PSUs built in.), so any wireless access point that does need PoE is covered on that front.
Question is what to pick and where to look.

As it is summer break, I will collect and research ideas. Not much happening until September (I think).

RHEV is basically just oVirt with a SLA. (from what I remember)

2 Likes

Well I’m just a hightech hillbilly, but this sounds like fun

3 Likes

I am MazeFrame. I study ComputerScience in Germany.
I am part of the students organizing a LAN-party each semester, volunteering and freelancing helpdesk jobs and looking to work in SysAdmin type jobs later in life.

3 Likes

Wow this hits me in the feels. I homelab to be a better sec analyst at work. I’m not 1337 by any means but will love to see this thread encompass both admin and the security side (as some places require a clear separation of duties between these roles). That said, where is @catsay ?

I will be really interested in input on splunk, tenable, SEP, userlock, Eracent, AD, ERPM, solarwinds, DISA SCC tool, scap viewer, vulnerator and their weird inclusion of .nessus and acas input in their GUI but git comments of not wanting to support it… SELinux, linux in general.

I’m not a SME in the above but play with it so I might be able to contribute if someone is intro to them, for example when you run into Splunk’s array of checksum tools falling short on certain data formats and you need to use bash or python to parse and normalize data before splunk uf ingestion. I’m trying to up my SPL game as well so SQL query ninjas will be a great resource.

2 Likes

Is this the place to ask if Intel 40GbE cards support 4x10GbE breakouts?
nvm figured it out

The answer is maybe

maybe I didn’t figure it out

2 Likes

oh hi

my multi-national environment is mostly

• cisco (switching/routing), Cisco UCS for 2 main site’s compute
  • netapp
  • purestorage
  • palo alto
  • riverbed (steelconnect / steelhead)
  • windows 2008r2-2019, Windows 7-10
  • RHEL / CentOS / FreeBSD in various places
  • Multiple vSphere vCenters
  • ESXi standalone instances
  • Zerto DR replication
  • Cisco call manager (currently migrating to SFB 2019)
  • Skype for business 2019
  • ~40 AD sites
  • currently migrating various shit to azure/365

First real IT related job was an ISP sysadmin back in the late 90s. Junior sysadmin for Solaris 2.5-2.6, Linux 2.0 onwards for proxy-cache, mail, firewalling. Debian ftw.

Background in switching/routing/firewalling/VOIP, been doing Windows stuff since NT4, Linux stuff since Slackware 3.1. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What do you guys think of/have you tried the new hyperv passthrough? looks slick.

1 Like

I’d love to pick your brain later on:
NetApp IPtables (or would it be called pftables being BSD’ish?)
Callmanager log settings level to get where to where called, duration.
CLI scripts to get VMWare VM count, possibly more info on them as well.

1 Like

What do you mean by SAN? Is it actually block storage, or just NAS traffic in general?

That’s fun.

How many clients? Ubiquiti AP-Lite is a solid option for under $100. That said, idk what Mikrotik has to offer.

Glad to see someone with VOIP experience in here. That’s something I’d like to break into in the next couple years.

Also, I guess I’m not the oldest one in here (unless you were using Slackware when you were 11).

Haven’t used hyperV in anger yet. We went VMware back in 2007 and periodically check out hyperV to keep microsoft honest, but thus far there’s not been a big enough incentive to migrate. It’s getting very close though and how we have Zerto which can do cross-hypervisor failover/migration pretty painlessly, it could be a thing.

More likely will just put them up in azure though.

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-6-5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.scripting.doc%2FGUID-7F7C5D15-9599-4423-821D-7B1FE87B3A96.html

2 Likes