Sysadmin Mega Thread

Mikrotik is Latvian though? Last I checked that was still a EU member…

1 Like

Is it? That’s my ignorance.

I thought it was all made in Shenzhen, but then I guess most things are.

2 Likes

I did all of 30 seconds of research.

I shall now consume crow, cease saber rattling and return to my box.

2 Likes

Hi
I’m getting a lot of job offer in Luxembourg and i don’t know if it’s a good idea or a way to get cheap labor from unknowing people.
From what i see, living there is at least twice as expensive, not even talking about renting.

does anyone here live there ? i feel like i won’t be able to keep my standard of living, salary don’t look to be 3X as much as what i’m payed here, and that’s what it look like i would need …

Yeah, I can imagine the progression:

We need services to bring up the network

But we need a network to bring up the services

Fuck it, we’ll run everything on the switches

2 Likes

This is why I’m probably just going to bite the bullet and buy a pfSense rack switch.

I could buy a cheap 1U from ebay but the power costs would outweigh itself after about of year of usage.

1 Like

I run OPNsense at home. I put Sensei on it. Love it. I could do it all myself, but it was a time/cost/benefit thing.

What is this?

You’ve really never checked their site? They sell direct.

That’s where I got my SG-3100 from.

Here is the one I was thinking about getting:

How is that a switch though? I mean, sure you can bridge the ports, but you’re not going to get non-blocking line speed on the 10G.

Oh I see the gigabit ports are on a hardware switch. I wonder what chip it’s using and what access pfsense has to its hardware features compared to a traditional enterprise switch (802.1x, broadcast controls, etc).

Also, why would this consume less energy than an equivalent spec 1U server. The low power consumption is just that Atom processor, no?

I misunderstood then. So you’re looking for a top of rack switch?

Yeah the CPU only uses like 25W full tilt I think.

I just bought a used Supermicro 24-port SFP+ switch but spent a lot of time looking for an open-source platform that doesn’t have ludicrous licensing cost (to no avail).

1 Like

It might consume more, it’s got to run that switch as well.

I would feel happy putting something like this in for a customer, but personally I prefer opnsense.

I can then do the whole Sensei thing if i want to take the commercial angle, and get central management.

Edit: not affiliated or anything, just like it.

CARP is almost a requirement with OPNsense because of how often they release security updates. Not that they shouldn’t release those updates, but that was part of the reason OpenBSD was more attractive to me for gateway.

1 Like

Yes, I use it for customer expressroute gateways for this reason. CARP and frr make it a breeze. They usually don’t notice the upgrades.

1 Like

Has hardenedbsd implemented wireguard in the kernel yet?

I don’t think so, no. I’m running wireguard on my unraid.

1 Like

For me, the main issue with both pfsense and opnsense is that they both are missing a comprehensive CLI. I should be able to deploy and configure them without ever using a web browser. Vyatta is a much better platform imo, despite missing a lot of the higher-end features.

Yes, when you consider even a low end sonicwall can be almost entirely managed through CLI it is a bit galling you’re locked out if you don’t have web gui on pf/opnsense.

It’s one of the things that makes them fall just a bit shy of the professional side of the market, no matter how fantastic they are in terms of security / throughput / features.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately, I think they’ll both skip the CLI and go straight to API. API is great, but I still want to ssh into something and run commands.