Sysadmin Mega Thread

Most of the 3rd party sellers have oem drives.

But they make way more of them than ironwolfs…so higher supply= … U kno

1 Like

Aren’t those SMR though?

Nope, not these. They’re on Synology’s approved drive list (they’re going in a Synology in my case) and they’re rated for raid/nas applications.

Apparently SMR exos do exist though:

brb redoing my food budget

4 Likes

So just ordered some (6) new DELL R6515s :slight_smile:

EPYC 7502P
512 GB RAM
2x 480 GB SSD

Will be replacing 4 UCS B series with dual E5-2650 and 256 GB each

Basically for 1.5x the cost of getting 4x 256 GB memory upgrades from CISCO we could get the above machines.

No brainer.

edit:
Also migrating from vSphere to Hyper-V. Essentially we’re already paying MS enterprise licenses, and VMware licensing cost is dead weight at this point.

4 Likes

That homelab is going to rock

1 Like

lol. #dayjob :smiley:

2 Likes

I havent used hyper-v in a long while but I did like the virutal san that they had.

It’s not just Linux, it’s pretty much every OS that doesn’t do file locking. On something like Windows (or NFS mounts, or similar), it will just refuse to let you delete the file.

Killing the process isn’t the only option. Do an ls -l on /proc/$PID/fd/ will show you the file descriptor associated with the open file. If it’s something like an apend-only log file, you could just truncate it with true>/proc/$PID/fd/4 or similar. Of course if it’s something more complex, like a database, then your process will notice and likely crash or hang. This is also how you can recover accidentally deleted files still held open… Cat the fd to a real file and you’ll have a copy.

Edit: Another option I really like is pv -d $PID to see not just what files a process has open, but how quickly they are all growing in size.

Worst offender is developers who tail -f huge logs on production systems, leaving it running. Always use tail with a capital F…

And that’s far from the only answer to your question. I’ve had hidden folders in the root of mount points… That will sure cause df and du to disagree unless you’re paranoid enough to find that right away.

4 Likes

That’s kinda like saying: For the price of a tune-up on a Lamborghini, you can buy a whole new Toyota…

Companies who buy Cisco UCS servers don’t do it because it’s a good value proposition. Quite the opposite.

It’s really not that bad.

Also, it runs on anything windows runs on (so… everything) and its nice how it just suspends VMs on shutdown rather than shutdown when you’re dealing with a standalone server.

UPS software, etc. “just works”.

Oh for sure. But we don’t need it. I can totally see the benefit if you are running thousands of servers. We aren’t.

But still. 40 grand (Aussie) for 1TB of memory is taking the piss. Memory is memory. Likely exactly the same RAM in the DELL gear, except I’m getting 3x as much, plus 6x 32 core EPYC platforms to stick it in for ~1.5x the price.

Plus, Cisco licensing/support model can die in a fire. :slight_smile:

So, I work on a tight budget at my job and the only MDM I could get is Meraki Systems Manager. It works fine with Mac, but not really Windows laptops. Specifically it struggles to install software remotely.

I’m looking at Chocolately and thinking about hosting a Nuget server to install and update applications for Windows since Chocolately already supports things like installing Adobe Reader & Cyberduck. Is this terribly hacky and is there a better way or is this a fine use for Chocolatey?

1 Like

How many users?

This is fine.

There are two nuget servers that I would suggest. Proget or Nexus. Proget has official support for Chocolatey, but Nexus also works completely fine. They both have free versions, and Nexus free version is open source. Proget has a lot more limitations on the free version, but the pricing for the paid version is less. Nexus is more fully featured in the free version (basically nothing missing that would be important for Chocolatey), but the paid version is pretty pricy. So, IMO the choice depends on if having a paid support plan for the repository is important.

The two main caveats with using the packages repository from Chocolatey.org for business use is that the repository has rate limits, and that many of the packages download the software at runtime rather than include the software inside the package due to licensing.
See: https://chocolatey.org/docs/community-packages-disclaimer

The rate limiting is not an issue if you have your own nuget repository.

The packages not including the software internally is more of an issue. It is fairly easy to “internalize” a package to modify it to include the software inside the package, see here: https://chocolatey.org/docs/how-to-recompile-packages

That ends up being quite a bit of work to do manually, so the chocolatey business edition has an automatic internalizer feature.

I also have a project to do it automatically, see here:

3 Likes

60+

1 Like

Thank you! I was looking at Proget and Nexus but this explanation saved me a lot of time in playing around with both! :smiley:

Thank you for the remixer as well! :smiley:

3 Likes

Is it really $55 for 3 years? No per device cost?

Let me know how it works if you end up using it, I’ve received just about zero feedback on it so far.

Yeah, it’s really cheap. I usually buy the 5 year packages and they were recently discounted to something like $65.

Also got like 20 3 year licenses for free for attending a webinar if you’re interested in messing around with it.

1 Like

You can buy it standalone? Doesn’t need to be an add-on to an existing meraki sub?

20? What does a single license cover or is that per device?

1 Like