Sysadmin Mega Thread

I suppose rolling release is out of the question?

1 Like

Or why not CentOS? Thatā€™s what my dad uses for his work stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d like rolling actually. Here are my priorities in order:

1. Deb or RHEL
  2. Infrequent releases (so LTS or rolling)
  3. Backend stability (leaning LTS)
  4. KDE

Basically became between Kubuntu and Neon. Liked the idea of Neon having edgier KDE goodies. If CentOS had KDE*, CentOS Stream would be a compelling option.

Also gives me the opportunity to use Ubuntu more which I have less experience with than RHEL distros. I do have to use Debian and Ubuntu servers so thatā€™s a plus for me.

* I did see that itā€™s possible to get kde on CentOS 8 but seemed kind of sketchy and Iā€™d rather be on something widely used/supported.

So I am starting to understand the hype around podman, just how it came about is a bit disruptiveā€¦

Welcome to 2016.

1 Like

fixed. I understood why docker was so hyped up, it was just how people were using it rubbed me the wrong way, so I was quite resistant to learning it at first.

oh, you sweet summer child. literally everything is available on the AUR, be it deb or otherwise. Just wait a week for the autists to package it.

Oh, youā€™re talking about distribution releases, not software package releases.

Backend stability boils down to keeping on a sane package version. The LTS strategy is antithetical to that, because if you want to run any new software, youā€™re SOL because libsomethingorother is so out of date you canā€™t use anything released from 2018 onward.

2 Likes

So podman sucks, you cannot change my mind.

Iā€™ll explain.

You take an ecosystem where people have spent the better part of a decade building tooling around it, and you rip the core component out of the operating system and remove support for it.

Then you expect people to upgrade directly to it? Yeah, no. later!

Weā€™re literally moving from CentOS 7 to FUCKING ARCH at my work because of the lack of support for Docker.

Mostly because apt is more broken than portage, support for el7 is nearly done, and thereā€™s not much else out there. (and we all know arch well)

Iā€™m still learning what makes podman so different from docker yet still the same atm. I wonā€™t comment on your dislike for it.

From what I understand, RHEL wanted a daemon-less container management solution to reduce points of failure.

Yeah, probably not a bad idea, but they should have implemented it as optional.

Forcing the switch while at the same time EOLing the version that companies are reliant on is exactly the sort of thing companies came to RHEL to avoid

With RHEL, we expected stability.

With RHEL, we expected sanity.

With RHEL, we expected consistency.

And we got none of those.

1 Like

Which is weird, because yum and dnf work interchangeably. RHEL are currently trying to ween us off yum slowly.

dnf would be acceptable if it wasnā€™t so goddamn slow.

The only thing slower would be compiling from source. And not by much

aside from DNF, as someone who is still a very basic docker user, Iā€™ve noticed no difference using podman.

The issue is stuff relies on the client server model docker and because it went daemonless too much shit doesnā€™t work.

Podman is awesome for running the containers but thatā€™s about it.

1 Like

I donā€™t know why you think dnf is slow?

Because of my experiences on fedora.

And being used to quick package managers like pacman, hell even apt is faster.

I just donā€™t want to learn another distro just for one system as opposed to better learning Ubuntu which I need to do anyway.

Oh yeah, sorry wasnā€™t clear.

Pretty much all itā€™ll ever run is chromium, konsole, krdc (which Iā€™m liking better than remmina so far), Atom (or Kate if I like it I guess) and janky IPMI Java applets.

This is why you need the aur.

I think thatā€™s an apples to oranges comparison.

Why, security? All my servers are old, so newer java versions actually tend to break the applets (probably because theyā€™re so insecure).