Sysadmin Mega Thread

Anyone knows if there is a way to enable unity mode on linux desktop for windows (server 2019) in vmware workstation?

Did you enable 3D acceleration in Vmware workstation and have the SVGA drivers installed from VMware tools in the VM?

Well, I installed just the default vmware tools. And yes 3d acceleration is on.

When any system is installed using the server installer, an autoinstall file for repeating the install is created at /var/log/installer/autoinstall-user-data .

2 Likes

isnā€™t that the rhel way ? on a deb based system ? :laughing:

the debian preseed is kind of tricky, especially if you want special partitioning (lvm) So this is good !

2 Likes

Yeah, from the looks of it, it is similar to kickstart

I really want to give this a try.

One thing I want to find out is how to only pull security updates and how that works with a point release update.

For example, say I am on ol7.7 and this is a critical server that canā€™t be rebooted but once every quarter and I need to get it to install patches from ol7.8 without distro-sync all the packages to that of ol7.8.

So my thought was to do something like the following:

• enable the ol7.8-base and ol7.8-patch repos
  • sudo yum update-minimal --security

looks like this might be my answer. Since this method will not pull newer package versions and only install security errata.

1 Like

AFAIK, this should do what youā€™d expect despite the point release, but Iā€™m not 100% sure since I usually grab the point releases pretty quickly.

Our env is unique in that we cannot upgrade to full point release because there is an incapability with the production app, at the same time there are only patches that get released on the latest point release so I have to find a way to not upgrade everything but get just the security patches.

Does anyone have experience with phishing your own company? Iā€™m using GoPhish and not sure how long to make the campaign. I want to avoid people learning about the phishing email and warning each other so that every gets a clean test.

Any other bits of advice in general?

1 Like

Doesnā€™t exactly answer your question, but I get one about once a month, itā€™s very obvious and everyone knows about it.

What makes it obvious?

The frequency and formatting is very uniform and almost exactly mirrors the examples from their training. The filtering is so aggressive, I imagine it would be really difficult for a real one to get through anyway unless they had compromised a legit domain.

1 Like

We utilize Sophos at my company. It works well, and the templates vary between users. Iā€™ve heard KnowBefore does a good phishing test as well.

Id probably shoot for once a quarter at most

1 Like

We use Infosec Institute, the campaign we recently ran had 4 different templates and every user got all 4 over a week or so. We do campaigns semi-annually. Luckily I get to run the next one so will hopefully make it more effective.

Lolā€¦ ZFS, NFS mounted under my home directoryā€¦ output of du -h

ā€¦ much output omitted

4.0K ./.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/cache/tmp

1.1M ./.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/cache

1.9M ./.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP

1.9M ./.var/app

1.9M ./.var

134T

134 TB ā€œin useā€ - many ZFS snapshots of a few hundred GB of VMsā€¦ :smiley:

That puts a pin in my plan of backing up the entirety of my home folder with simple tar command lineā€¦ :smiley:

Thatā€™s why the .zfs folder is usually hidden

Yeah, but I like to get stuff back out of it.

Still, just figured it was funnyā€¦ the actual amount of storage in that pool is only a few TB.

1 Like

I symlink it and then donā€™t follow symlinks for backups.

1 Like