Sysadmin Mega Thread

Enjoy screaming at freedos

1 Like

FreeDOS is fine, it has tab completion!

Unfortunately this SAS3108 seems to be in an unrecoverable fault state. The firmware is unresponsive, so the driver canā€™t use the card (even though it sees it there). :confused:

I have a SAS3008 coming next week, and I did find the official IT firmware for it, so I just have to hold out until thenā€¦

On the bright side, I updated everything else in the system and itā€™s fixed a few quirks (that may or may not have been dumb bios settings).

it seems the only way iā€™ll get it to work REASONABLY is if get it working in dock Desktop for Windows. my only server in the house is windows.

LANcache wasnā€™t really designed for windows containers, but linux containers on windows should be okay.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s layers of heresy, kinda like how docker images are made.

2 Likes

Ovirt 4.4 is finally out (this is the first RHEL8 release). Excited to revisit it, but am going to wait for CentOS 8.2 to release first.

https://blogs.ovirt.org/2020/05/ovirt-44-available/

2 Likes

I am so jealous of your Ergodox. I have an old Maltron Iā€™ve had for years.

I must put some cash aside.

1 Like

Setup Grafana with influxdb fed by Netdata metrics for my homelab.

Hell yeah!

3 Likes

Does anyone know what the best solution for Windows licensing is for a small business? When I looked into a Microsoft business account (not 365), I found MPSA, but thatā€™s for a minimum of 250 users. Am I supposed to track Windows licenses individually up to 250? I donā€™t care about volume discounts so much as I just want some centralized management other than a spreadsheet full of license keys.

Looks like Open License Program is what Iā€™m looking for.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/licensing-programs/open-license

1 Like

Today i got boot-kicked off of the sysadmin world at work (Visioconf)
a nice and clichƩ bearded guy told me

Aww thatā€™s cute, you didnā€™t shave this week to grow a beard just like mine ?

i havenā€™t shave since the stayathome thing ā€¦ 2 month + ago :cry:
iā€™ll never be clichĆ© :sob:

1 Like

Someone sanity check me, please. In cron:

* */2 * * *

That will run every minute of every other hourā€¦

So like, itā€™ll run at 1:00, 1:01, 1:02, etcā€¦ but skip 2:00, 2:01, 2:02, etcā€¦ then continue with 3:00

Right?

https://crontab.guru/

Thank me later.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m using that.

Iā€™m just looking for another sanity check.

Beause this crontab passed the sniff test of my entire team.

And I think the guy who put it in intended it to be 0 */2 * * *, or every other hour.

Yep, just confirmed with him, itā€™s supposed to be every 2 hours.

:roll_eyes:

Now I understand where the load spikes every minute are coming from.

5 Likes

At least the process didnā€™t take 30 minutes.

No, but it does use all cores of the system for 25 seconds.

Which means every other hour, the damn system is completely overloaded.

Fix the issue and claim you solved performance issues. But tell it to only do it every 4 hours instead of two :smiling_imp:

Interesting theyā€™re publicly saying not to use release until u1 for mission critical.

Also, 11.3 is already out, what are they referring to in that table?

1 Like

Theyā€™re comparing the quality and naming of the 12.0 cycle to the 11.3 cycle. For example, 12.0 RC1 will be comparable in quality to the 11.3 RELEASE.

Oh I see, so the dates only correlate to 12, that makes sense now that I look at it not on my phone.