Sysadmin Mega Thread

His zfs and ssh books are amazing. Apparently the PAm one is good to

3 Likes

Which one is the PAM one?

I like to watch his Michigan Linux Meetups Talks also.

2 Likes

The BSD guys have the best presentations.

3 Likes

RIP FFFFFFFFF its not under warranty they arent that old of a pannel

1 Like

Might as well loop this in see what other sysadmins think

Networking is my weak spot as well. Wish I could help. :confused:

Lol seems like a common problem for us.

1 Like

This is the abstraction problem.

Things get easier, more automated, more levels of abstraction and slowly the people who know how to handle the underlying stuff age out/kick it.

This is why I cringe when I see things like writing microservices in java

2 Likes

Not all of us thankfully. Glad to see @mutation666 was able to help you out.

2 Likes

I am not the best designer, but am decent at fixing things / understanding how to fix broken shit

2 Likes

Yeah that’s where I’m at. I’ve transferred from a mainly fixing existing shit role to now I have to basically re-do and design everything.

Exciting and challenging. I’m having to relearn network basics all over again. My CCNA for dummies book is really coming in handy.

I never realized how easy it is to stagnate and grow out of practice. Just putting Fedora on my new laptop I had to google the fdisk command because the last time I used it was a year ago.

2 Likes

That’s my life’s work you son of a gun, take it back.

Howdy sysadmin thread. Not to Jynx myself or put the black curse but I have two dev interviews this week. I want to say it’s been a pleasure. You’ve been good to me :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve just experienced an interesting issue. mdadm failed to start my /home array. (raid0 fite me) It gave me an error in dmesg:

[  666.293291] md/raid0:md127: cannot assemble multi-zone RAID0 with default_layout setting
[  666.293292] md/raid0: please set raid.default_layout to 1 or 2

I fixed it with:

echo 1 > /sys/module/raid0/parameters/default_layout

But I’m curious, does anyone know why this happened? I had a simple kernel upgrade and this suddenly starts happening. :confused:

3 Likes

Rework to the FS drivers. What was the file system on those disks? BTRFS, F@FS, and EXT4 have had some rework/cleanup done.

Well had a fun couple days trying to resurrect a server for a temporary AD backup…

Just heavily reinforced my mindset that you should almost always re-install Windows if you plan on repurposing hardware.

After doing everything humanly possible to restoring windows to normal because it refused to boot from a CD or USB I go to make domain controller and get errors. :sob::sob::sob: Basically windows still likes to believe its on a domain even if you change back to workgroup and tell it no, you are not.

So now after 2 days of work, updates and wiping here I am putting in a hard drive with the ISO on it just to re-install windows. Also had to scrape the key because all docs are nonexistent for the server.

Good stuff

7 Likes

:thinking: I should post some rack pics tomorrow

5 Likes

9 Likes

Damn son

What do you use it for? :grin: