Sysadmin Mega Thread

Thank’s @thro, @AnotherDev @nx2l et @Dynamic_Gravity for your take on Docker. It’s good to know you can keep some sort of controls, but from what i understand, the very fast turnaround requested for cloud project won’t allow it.
But Docker was kind of a side track, the main question for me was about Ansible community build playbook (also module), and how risky is it to just “throw stuff together” without knowing what’s actually been done… (edit: there is NO plan on making costume one, else we would stay on salt)

1 Like

Ansible is one of those nice things that will only do what you tell it. I’ve used a community playbook to install DataDog agents and AWS CLI. I know I keep giving these personal experience anecdotes, so just stop me when I become grandpa :wink:

Definitely scan the source to see if curl/wget is running. If you don’t understand a sed or something, check it on Explain Shell dot com. Ansible’s format is really clean and concise so proof reading it ain’t so bad. If this is your first rodeo with yaml it might take you a few passes.

2 Likes

giphy
:grin::smiley::upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Oh nice, you got it. Congrats!

What was the issue? Or was it a lot of things?

Is that vcsa or an ESXi host?

1 Like

vcsa! i waled on it with hammer till it worked. i probably changed some things that didn’t need changing i’m sure DNS was part of it. this a ground up deploy on cobled together used enterprise hardware by a newb so def a a lot of things. :joy:

all this just so i can try horizon view. here’s to hoping i can get the fiber optic 500mbs/500mbps business for $300 a month and split the bill half.

then at that point along with parsec gaming client i wil lessentialy have a full on self hosted cloud with my own “google stadia” i’ve already been gaming over parsec in my VMs running on my Nvidia GRID card and my RTX 2060

just need some web hosting, maybe lamp stack
some monitoring, a few guides for that in /r/homelab
maybe some logging like graylog
jelly fin
nextcloud
BBS board
some multiplayer servers, maybe Halo CE or GoldenEye Source, get the old MC server going again

AD can even grant people various service like horizon view or jelly fin if setup correctly.

EDIT: also need to fix vmotion so it’s not so sloooooowww like frozen molasses shouldn’t take 2 hours.

3 Likes

This is Emby, but probably the same:

What license are you working with? IIRC, anything with vmotion is $$$.

1 Like

Yes, after emby went full closed source after descrpencey of GNU violation, Jelly Fin was spun up and are activiley working on clients and features. They have already fixed bug and implemented features the emby team has ignored for years. first of witch was AD integration.

i think you mean $$,$$$.$$ but, no VMUG Advantage, $$$ for 3 years, just under $460.00 to be exact, for the full vmware suite/portfolio. and since the above uses don’t TRULY satisfy the term “production” in an enterprise context, it’s no worries. Besides it’s being used to cut teeth on and learn, which is what VMUG adv is for.

1 Like

I was buying Essentials kit yearly, but then dropped down to one host and just use the free license now.

well if free does it for you. i’m sure you’re aware there are other means to get it even cheaper yet still. but, that’s neither nor there.

if i wasn’t at risk of melting the outlets i’d run another cluster for proxmox also for fun but, since power is limited, i stick with vmware. kvm based stuff doesn’t vGPU like vmware does or passthrough requires editing lines, at least back when i had to choose.

1 Like

I’m using some proxmox now but ultimately would like to try ovirt again once it’s out on CentOS 8. I need the one ESXi host for macOS. Trying to keep things somewhat legit…

1 Like

Something odd happened (still need to sift through logs) and made my ESXi datastore drop off. So how to mount it back.

Splunk. Found when installing another add-on + app my ingesting of all logs would fail. Dipped into the logs and tried a few things out. Problem (and run on sentence because my language line break is broken): Having more than one data feed where time stamp extraction is using Splunk’s default method in place of not specifying in the data input/add-on’s props.conf stanza breaks time stamp extraction, and also breaks line break determination. Fix, put in some effective time stamp regex in the props.conf or at the very least the stanza that says “just give it the time it got indexed”

(DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT)

Or some legit regex extraction for accuracy (example from Splunk documentation)

[yoursourcetype] SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)(?=\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+\s+) TIME_PREFIX = ^(\S+\s+){3}\[ TIME_FORMAT = %d/%b/%Y:%H:%M:%S %z MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 26

2 Likes

People are looking at me to do SPA automated testing. Happy to do it, but if anyone here has done this in the past and has any protips I’d be happy to hear them.

cotton

1 Like

Hey guys, guess what happened 2 days into the transfer :neutral_face:

Someone thought it’d be fun to add + to indicate a newer version of a file. My solution is to replace illegal chars with their octal codes in brackets. Upside is that I get to use the od and fold commands which might both be firsts for me. od definitely is.

You can only code so much around potential user error. Unlike Pokemon, you cannot catch them all.

2 Likes

This is going to be incredibly helpful for me, since I don’t have a super high quality L2ARC and I reboot somewhat frequently, it’ll be nice to reduce the writes, and not have that initial sluggishness.

2 Likes

I haven’t done it, but I know the company I worked at previously uses Selenium for it. I’m not really sure how it works, but I do know we had to maintain an OSX laptop, and a Windows and Linux desktop VM to handle all the tests. I’d assume it was designed to automate user interactions.

https://selenium.dev/

1 Like

Ive had my optane drive for almost 2 years now.
I have sync set to always.
smart log still shows 100% endurance.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not using good flash. just some shitty WD blue.

I need my fast flash for md raid for VMs.

Previous 2 generations of Mac Minis became ESXi certified recently if you ever want to avoid this.

Old company, not my problem anymore.

Plus, all the devs used macbooks so it was easy to just fire one of them to get the laptop on the cheap. :troll:

2 Likes