Sysadmin Mega Thread

Iā€™m a bit annoyed that AWS Cloudfront doesnā€™t work with RSA4096 certs, had to reissue to 2048 to get shit working.

1 Like

Thatā€™s dumb AF.

How do sysadmins feel about people who distrohop?

Dont answer admindev I know your feelings

I find it asinine, get a distro that is relatively stable, and use it as a daily driver. Why bother distro hopping, I would have to re-apply all my personal-QoL settings every single time.

I switch Distros once (typically) every year or two.

Depends on if I find something lacking.

1 Like

@SgtAwesomesauce

I propose a community challenge that will have a fancy badge associated with it.

Along these lines

Instead of telling people to use Linux. How about we make them put value in what they use. It can be anything. We tend to treat things better when we put value in them :wink:

Flesh something out and Iā€™ll requisition a badge.

1 Like

Dope will do

Itā€™s a God damn disease that cripples anyone that gets near it.

Also, donā€™t tell me how to live.

Lastly, I think most sysadmins today will have an automated deployment + configuration management so distrohopping doesnā€™t cost them anything.

I could have sworn we had 4096, but son of a hooker youā€™re right

The limit for a certificate that you use with CloudFront is 2048 bits, even though ACM supports larger keys.

Lol. Maybe use Azure? :grin:

For the memearsenal? Iā€™m not willing to drop more than $3CAD/mo on that.

1 Like

For the most part, yeah.

1 Like

Did yā€™all know you can script out Adobe products and automate development/production? By ā€œdevelopmentā€ and ā€œproductionā€ I guess I mean render/processing and ā€œpostā€ production.

Itā€™s in JavaScript.

Who fucking knew.

Brb renewing sub under student account :troll:

1 Like

Agreed lets change it

I think I just did? :joy: jk

Yeah but see how much extra work it creates?

I have this argument almost daily with the people on my team and other teams.

If $TASK_A takes you 45 minutes to perform, it will take you three to six hours to automate. Fuck it, letā€™s say it takes 1 hour and it will take 8 hours to automate.

After spending a full day on something that should have taken you an hour, it now takes you five minutes to perform the $TASK_A. You can perform $TASK_A 12 times more frequently than you could before.

You can even broaden your scope and ask for input, files, or read environment variables to make the script more specific than to just $TASK_A.

Sorry, Iā€™m not picking on you or even mad at you. But when someone responds to my e-mail of a brand new repository containing PowerShell, Python, and C# scripts with ā€œdo we need this?ā€ ā€“ Yes they used all lowercase like fucking degenerates ā€“ after I just finished celebrating the birthday of our Lord and Savior Iā€™m going to be a little bit fucking pissy and forward it to our bossā€™s boss saying ā€œThis is why we canā€™t have nice things, fire everyone and burn down the rest.ā€

5 Likes

How long does it take you to solve problems introduced by a mistake made while manually repeating a task that could have been automated and continuously tested? To err is humanā€¦

How many times have you encountered a bug that was due to an off by one error in a loop condition? Common theme in code and in general.

1 Like

I did test quite a few distroā€™s before settling on my current setup. I do feel that checking what is out there is just a natural process for finding an environment that works, and not just for distributions. So discouraging it for new users seems rather counter-intuitive to me, personally.

So far there hasnā€™t been any need to change distros again (though I did try something supposedly more stable on my work PC but quickly reverted back to my usual distro) However should something be done that disrupts my ā€œhappy placeā€ (unlikely, at this point) Iā€™ll just start searching again, for however long it takes.

I did tend to switch machines rather regularly, so I basically keep all the important configuration I rely on (shell, editor, window manager, and a bunch of utilities) in a Subversion repository, this means Iā€™m up-and-running very quickly on anything that has Subversion installed as the core of my setup is just a checkout away.

There is a pretty big difference between checking and hopping in my opinion. Plus tbch they are all intrinsicly the same. Just different shells and defaults.

Right, kinda hard to tell where the line is, some people search for a while, Iā€™d imagine.

Arguably the differences between distributions have only grown, after having been mostly standardized file system layout is contentious now, init systems is another major difference between distributions and, of course, thereā€™s still package management, which used to be the defining factor for a very long time.

Certainly the last two can have a major impact on oneā€™s experience so I wouldnā€™t fault anyone for trying a few different ones.

Of course, that assumes some interest in the internals of oneā€™s system, for anyone only using whatever GUI is present, well, Iā€™d agree that for them it doesnā€™t particularly matter.

They get stuck in the search more often than not to no fault of their own. It lends to a lot of indecision. Sorry @MisteryAngel I dont mean to call you out here but she had a lot of indecision for a long time. Often we just need to commit to something which gets us over that hurtle.

Well see we still are not talking about distro hopping here. The disease we speak of is the refusal to committ to a distribution after some time perusing and jumping to find the best workflow.

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ I can only speak for the photoshop side of it, but it can be very limiting and/or undocumented depending on what you want to do.

1 Like