Synology Surveillance Station on DS416

I’m setting up Synology Surveillance station and will be using 8-10, 8MP/4K cameras. I was thinking of using it on a spare DS416 that I don’t really need. The reason being, the DS416 doesn’t support BTRFS, so I don’t really store anything important on it.

However, it is older and only has 1GB RAM. I’m just afraid it won’t have the horsepower to do the task - both in live streaming, as well as play-back of recorded streams. I just wouldn’t think it could handle the task. Synology says it will support up to 25 cameras, but I don’t believe that.

I would be recording at 15-24 FPS, depending on the camera. Recording would be in 4K, live view would be lower.

I could also put it on a DS916+, DS920+, DS216+II or DS1821+, but I would rather not commit those to this if I don’t have to. On the DS216+II, I have a second NIC, via a USB Ethernet adapter.

Any experience from someone on this setup?

Thanks!

I am running the dedicated discontinued Synology NVR-1218 with the OEM 1GB DDR3 memory with eight cameras and see nothing wrong with the speed and performance. Maybe compare specs 1218 >> 416 but you would be surprised how well this machine handles SS

Thanks for the info. I looked up the NVR1218, but could only find that it has a “Dual Core 1.0 Ghz CPU”. They don’t publish what that CPU actually is. Does your DSM for that NVR show the CPU model?

I’m assuming it’s a stronger CPU, since it’s a newer model than the 416, but am just guessing. The 416 has an Annapurna Labs Alpine AL-212 CPU. Don’t know what class that falls into, though.

I am thinking weaker
Mind you, this is a dedicated NVR and not running traditional NAS tasks

pcwolf@NVR1218:/$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1987.37

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1993.93

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x4
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 1

Hardware : hi3535
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

Thanks for the info, pcwolf.

I think I’ve decided to use an old DS216+II, instead of the DS416. The DS416, with only two test cameras, is using 40% of it’s 1GB of RAM.

The DS216+II currently has 8GB of RAM and is about to have 16GB of RAM, tomorrow, if the upgrade works.

I have newer & faster DS NAS’s, but am trying to start at the bottom until I hit the model that works very well, but is not overkill.

Thanks again!

You are welcome, of course. My system with five steady stream 4k cams and one month retention to twin 6GB hard drives pegs the 1GB system RAM at 31% which doesn’t seem to surge with use.

If you think about it, modern cams do a great deal of processing (like facial/pet recognition, tracking, focus, etc.) remote and internal, so the NAS really is just directing a video stream to disk without a great deal of processing.

I predict you will be pleasantly surprised at the capability Synology delivers. I switched from a Russian software product FelenaSoft Xeoma due to much better ease of use and manner of accessing the recordings to retrieve events. The Synology one time per-camera license fee is also actually more economical than annual renewal of other NVR software licenses.

Synology no longer updates the NVR-1218 version of DSM but does continue to deliver updates to SS six years later.

Good luck