Synology died after transformer blew data recovery on linux/windows/?

Hello all, I’m not sure if this is the right place to add this in but It is a DIY project. Long story short my transformer blew last night and while I was on a ups for some odd reason it decided to not do safe shutdown over usb like set up and it hard crashed and now the power button doesn’t even work.

With the prelude over the diy project, I was actually in the process of building a server. I just got a rosewill rsv l4000 and I’ve got a 1700x to use for the brain. Here’s where I need help in 2 areas: how should I go about extracting this data… and 2 the 1700x isn’t ready yet, it’s my current pc’s cpu and I was hoping to wait for the 3900x to be available and hopefully a price drop with availability of 5000 series…what would be the best option of cpu to either A run my gaming rig or B be the new brain for the server if I’ve got 2 AM4 mobos (one tuf gaming b450 and one b550). In the current market I can’t tell if it’d be better to just get a 1600x or something on the cheap and wait for more cores or just bite the bullet on a 500$ processor.

You’ll probably want more details on what I’m doing with the server so you can give an apt solution without making me transfer data back and forth a few times. I plan on running some form of hyperviser(?) new to this and I’ve heard proxmox is good(open to suggestions). I plan on having a plex, a lan cache, a windows server as I am the tech guy of the family and frequently do fresh installs, upgrades, and pxe boot on a few of my devices once it’s going. I’ll also be doing a security system that I was not prepared to move from my synology. Infact I was planning on leaving it still implemented offline as cctv butttt OKAY life.

OH and it was a raid 5 setup with raid 1 ssd cache if how the volume was setup matters.

First of all, please break your post into paragraphs it’s really hard to read. You can recover your data by mounting second partition in that LVM(?) raid. First one is your Synology OS partition. But your linux will recognize the harddrive.

The transformer most likely blew up due to a power spike on the grid, which in turn will have caused a serious power spike on your mains power too. Fair chance there’s more electronics at your home affected by this.

First, disconnect the NAS from anything, then remove ALL drives. Make notes on which drive goes where in the enclosure. Next, add a spare drive and try putting it back on. Report back on the results.

1 Like

So if I’m understanding right I can pass the second partition of the array from the hypervisor to linux and I should be able to pull it to my new data storage OS of choice (I haven’t decided on unraid, freenas, etc still reading forum posts on it :confused: very not ready for the transition)

To the second reply, I have unplugged, hit the reset switch, etc it is a full crash, either psu is gone of mobo. No LEDs, No Fans, He’s dead jim. Also I have done a brief check around my house and it seems only the nas is affected so far but I have not run my washer, dryer, or dishwasher for that fact.
All TVs and other computers work so far. I also can’t check if the cameras are still operational as they were on the same psu and the only way I can check them is through the synology

It would be better if you backup your data first to another disk and use something like ubuntu live CD to access your files. Actually you wanna do that first anyway to make sure that hard drives are not dead.

I’ll give this a go and see if I can pull the data, I may do a full linux install instead of cd and keep a spare desktop in the garage incase this happens again. Thanks for the help guys, I’ll post updates on getting the server up (hopefully on a different more enthusiastic thread than this tail of woe)

You set up a RAID5 in the NAS, so you won’t be able to read data from individual drives. You need at least 2 working drives to gain access, assuming Ubuntu can read them in the first place.

For the safety of your data, you should mount these drives as “read only”, to prevent accidentally overwriting irreplaceable stuff. Ideally, make a copy of the drive image and try to recover from that instead. You’ll need an additional drive for every drive in the array with at least the same capacity.

If you attempt to recover from the array directly, make sure the drive you recover your data to is at least the size of the array. Assuming Ubuntu reports the array as /dev/md0 and the recovery drive is mounted as /dev/sdX (where X is a lower case letter, depending on how many drives there are in your system) you can issue the command (as root, or with the sudo prefix):
dd if=dev/md0 of=/dev/sdX bs=1M status=progress

This will create a 1:1 copy of /dev/md0 onto /dev/sdX, using 1MB blocks and showing a progress bar. Although technically possible, I’d advise against increasing the block size over 1M, but if you’re hesitant to use such large chunks, you can use 4k instead, or leave the entire thing out. In the latter case Linux will use the standard 512byte blocks to copy data over. Takes a while longer though.

If Ubuntu can’t read data from the array, use the photorec tool to see if anything can be salvaged. Unlike the name suggests, it can recover most data types, not just images.

There is a way to create your own Synology box using your old PC and you will be able to just migrate your old harddrives to it just like you can on a the real Synology box. However, yeah, you gotta make sure that your hard drives are not dead first. Clone them first if you can.

Drives shucked and installed. Ubuntu boot drive ready. Annnddd I’m 1 drive short of a duplicate array of exact size. Would it be alright if I write it to JBOD of same or larger size.

Or do I run the risk of corruption/drives dying. Got a foot of snow on the ground outside so if I can’t I guess it’s on ice till amazon can make it out here.

Are your other drives larger than original ones? You could dd clone into a file instead of a new harddrive. As long as you don’t mount them it should be fine.

Regrettably, no. It would be a true JBOD. a couple laptop drives, and some ssds cobbled together. To be clear the data on the drives already does have a backup…just the worst form of backup. DVD and CD. Desperately want to avoid digging that out of storage.

Though, if I’m getting another drive anyways the array added up to 12 TB(raw) and only 6 were used, so Technically could get an 8TB