sWRX8 motherboards

Dear all,
I’ve seem some nice videos from level1techs about sWRX8 motherboards, and this seems like quite a vibrant community, so I’ll try my shot.

For weird reasons and a strange story I am managing a server myself (rather than outsourcing to DELL or whatever). Components had to be delivered end 2022 which was not an easy time to get things, so compromises were made. This is a big machine made to run debian.

Anyway, I got a:

• Threadripper Pro 3995WX
  • 512 GB RAM: 8x64GB RDIMMS from Micron called: MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2E1*
  • RTX A6000
  • 7 SATA disks and 3 NVMe
  • Asus Pro WS WRX80E Sage SE WiFi

It’s in a datacentre so I am using LACP bonded 10gb connections. Issues with MB since beginning:

• super long and unreliable boots
  • the second SATA adapter throwing errors after several days operation then disconnecting disks
  • no dedicated network port for management

I tried my luck too far and tried to add two more SATA disks and 2 GPUs to test some things recently and it went insane, VERY unreliable boots, disks appearing on half the boots, AER errors everywhere.
I am apparently not alone.
BIOS upgrade made things worse, I undid my changes (disks, GPUs and BIOS version) and I have something that boots but with AER errors. It cannot stay like this.

I have decided that the motherboard is the problem and I want to replace it, and I would like some advice.
My main worry is really memory compatibility (should it be?).

I’ve looked at the videos posted about this socket, and here’s my logic about the boards I can get hold of fast:

• Supermicro M12SWA-TF: nice but single 10gb is too bad, 4 SATA annoying

• ASUS once bitten twice shy, it’ll be RMAed but I’m not sure I’ll trust it again

• AsRock WRX80 CREATOR WRX8 R2.0 (20 years ago was awful, but I have recent good experiences), I’m very up for this one, it’s nice and cheap only real worry is the 10gb network cards, any good or bad experiences?

• Gigabyte WRX80-SU8-IPMI My current favourite with only worry being connecting SATA disks through slimSAS, is this OK on linux? I have no experience with slimSAS. Gigabyte’s qualified RAM mentions a similar-but-not-identical MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2B2UL: is similarity worth anything?

In both my favourites I’ll have to drop my NVMe scratch disk, but I can live with that.

Happy to have answers to my questions (or to convince me that I’m overreacting with the SAGE board).

Eddy

My asrock was stable, lucky for me I had the Rev 1.0 that intel nic so your concern was not realised.

I just got the AsRock, everything works perfectly on debian, I have all 7 disks, all 3 GPUs and the BMC working in about 20 minutes, no weird business.
The Marvell 10GB cards are running at 10GB with no issues.
I highly recommend it.

ASUS sage card will be RMAed (and then stored?)