Swithing from software RAID to motherboard RAID for NVMe drives on the ASRock TRX40 Creator

I will be receiving a system soon where I’m tasked to do maintenance, upgrades and some improvements. It has a ASRock TRX40 Creator paired with a Ryzen Threadripper 3970X. The current OS is Debian 11 and the owner has configured two Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB SDDs in a stripe set using mdadm. The storage will be upgraded to two FireCuda 530 4TB SSDs.

I’ve done some searching and found that this board should support RAID 0 for NVMe SSDs on the motherboard. According to the driver page for the TRX40 chipset there are drivers available for Windows, RHEL and Ubuntu for motherboard RAID.

Are there any benefits to switch from software RAID to motherboard RAID?

If so, is there a filesystem that should be used for optimal performance and/or stability?

Taken from another recent thread:

Bottom line is there isn’t much performance difference between OS managed software raid and motherboard raid (which is also effectively software raid). I’d take mdadm managing my raid over the motherboard, at least I know mdadm is portable between system is something goes very wrong… not sure if I’d trust a motherboard raid to be that portable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.