Switching lanes .... 40 to 80 [ complete build in the first post ]

Your are right ... it´s barebone and i will take the WS ... I just want to get a better deal on it :)

That would be going into my definre r5 ... there is the e-atx more hassle.

Mindfactory to Austria ... :(

Vorkasse € 19,99.
EPS € 22,69.
PayPal € 25,39.
sofortüberweisung.de € 22,55.

And shipping?

€ 19,99* in Zone 1 ...

So fees and shipping add 10%? Hmm... could be worse.

The cheapest would be http://www.e-tec.at/frame1/details.php?art=137175&shopart= .... i dont like paying more than the bare minimum :D

I like to buy at stores I know. But if you are comfortable with that store just pull the trigger. :)

I buy ofter there just about 40 mins away from me or/and free shipping :)

1 Like

It seems like finding a board in stock somewhere is challenging/ SuperBiiz has the ASROCk Rack EP2C602-4L but I have no experience with them. I would prefer an ASUS board if possible but they are far and few between.

My first build has an ASRock Rack EP2C602 board (no 4L or anything additional). It is fine and works but like the Asus Z9PA it is very barebones.

Good hunt!

What features did you notice in the less barebones board that you use?

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. I guess you wanna know why I went with the more expensive one?

Well, it is a sort of standard form factor. So it will fit in my case and most screw holes should line up. I guess that is a feature.
Other than that, more USB, 7 (seven!) full size PCIe slots, SLI / CF support, more SATA instead of SAS and the amount of cables and stuff it comes with. I don't know how stripped down the UEFI would be in the Z9PA and I have no idea if XMP profiles are supported by the server board. Than there is other stuff that is less important for me right now like onboard sound and so on.

In the end you have to decide if those features are worth the money for you but I think 150,- bucks for all of that, yeah it is for me.

It's missing USB 3.0. And it does not have a SAS controller.

For USB 3.0 you'd have to buy a controller card, which is still cheaper than the WS board. You can also buy a SATA PCIe card. That reduces your available PCIe slots to 1 and the PCI slot (if you take a Dual Slot GPU). The question is: What else (apart from a soundcard maybe) do you want to put into your machine?

Out of the fact that you complain about 150€ and about shipping being expensive I derive that you are somewhat of a Pfennigfuchser (cheapskate sounds a bit harsh). So I think that the 7 full size PCIe slots are not really useful to him because he will probably not just drop 3 additional GPUs in his system. Same goes for the 4 missing SATA ports: I find it unlikely he will have too many hard drives.

Actually both have USB3. And I don't like to speculate about the motivation behind someone elses decisions. I try to ask them instead.

If you know the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS board, I could use a little help.
Please take a look at the first post.

UP

You will be waiting a long time for a deal on the z9pe-d8 ws. It carries an annoying premium. The guys over at 2cpu seem to have plenty of expertise with the board.

Figuring out ES chips for v3 / v4 seems to be being discussed on serve the home right now. I'm probably good for this year with v1/ v2 or at least till the shopping list for everything else thins out.

What? Uhm, I already have the board.

Could you provide a link?

z9pe-d8 ws threads

http://www.overclock.net/t/1261060/asus-z9pe-d8-owners-thread/260
http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Full build log in the first post. Just click:

DONE!

Another update, now it has become a server.
I have no idea if that all works out, I haven't set up any software so far.

This is the current hardware:

• 2 x Intel Xeon E5 2670 Revision C2
  • 2 x Noctua NH-U12DX i4
  • Asus Z9PE D8 WS (SSI EEB form factor)
  • 8 x 8 GB Hynix 1866MHz registered ECC DDR3
  • Sapphire RX460 Nitro 4GB for HTPC use
  • Intel X540 T2 dual port 10GBit
  • Asus PCIe USB 3.1 card (type A, two ports)
  • LSI 9210-8i PCIe mini-SAS controller
  • Intel series 730 SATA SSD 240GB (main OS)
  • Intel series 530 SATA SSD 240GB (stuff)
  • 2x Corsair Force GT 60GB (probably for ZFS cache or so)
  • 2.5" 1TB Samsung HDD (basic backup for the Intel SSDs)
  • 2.5" drives are hold in the ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB996SP-6SB
  • 6 x 3,5" 3TB Seagate NAS HDD in RAID-Z2
  • 2 x 3.5" 1TB WD green HDD in ZFS RAID1
  • 1 x 3.5" 4TB WD red HDD for whatever (maybe steam cahe)
  • the WD red is stuffed into a Startech 3 bay 3.5" dock, two bays are free
  • last 5.25 slot is housing the Asus BW-16D1HT blu ray writer
  • Seasonic Platinum 1050 modded with Noctua NF-S12A PWM
  • 6 x Noctua NF-A14 ULN on the fan controller of the...
  • Nanoxia Deep Silence 5, removed all HDD cages for airflow

Wait, HTPC use?
Yes, this thing is still quiet enough to stand in my living room.

1 Like