Surveillance of military personnel

Thanks, they have good reason to have security, and not much is blocked. its just that in general as a human i want privacy.

1 Like

You're welcome. I'm no arbiter of what's right and wrong, and neither is anyone else here. Just as a pen tester you can use your knowledge for GOOD and BAD, it's up to the person. I find using it to provide some means of hiding political opinion, messages, downloads, etc, as something that you're entitled to, and even more so since you've given your life to the military system.

I do not find it logical that you can sign away your bill of rights, specifically the fourth amendment, because you signed a contract. If I signed a contract that said you can steal everything I own and then kill me, it would still be illegal, yes? Just because it's a huge institution doesn't make it any more valid. So yes, please exercise your rights as someone who donates your time to the system, I think you're even more deserving of these rights, if you're an oathkeeper, as the institutions are SUPPOSED to be defending the constitution.

1 Like

This is exactly what Edward Snowden did. He did not sign any NDAA or anything regarding privacy. He did an Oath of Service with the NSA, meaning that he's supposed to uphold the constitution and defend it at all costs. This is true for all military branches and institutions of the government, despite them BREAKING these oaths countlessly and frivolously with their words and actions.

Snowden's a great example, actually. Though I hope our OP doesn't end up fleeing to Russia.

1 Like

I honestly think the people at the highest level respect people who exercise their rights. It's only the middle management that is your immediate boss, that wants to put his thumb on you and pressure you to his will.

The people at the highest rung of society will look at you objectively and find that you are a valuable asset, that knows what he's doing. Edward Snowden is just one of those people that snapped and went to the Dark Side of their Light. In fact, our government wants Edward Snowdens to populate their personnel. (Someone who has morality that upholds the constitution, and has the technical skills to back it up. A maverick as Palin would say) They just don't want them divulging secret information and being whistleblowers. They want them to play nice. If you can do this, then you will be successful.

Edward played them all for fools and they have to respect that in a certain degree, because now things have to be changed, because he brought to light security issues within their apparatus. He didn't PROVE anything, he just had the credentials to speak on the subject and claimed his theories as true, and we all listened, and they (the government) threw a temper tantrum.

im not trying to expose some dark plot, i just want to know that my normal internet actions wont effect my carrer.

I didn't mean to imply you were.

Having thought on it more, I personally think that your internet activity affecting your career is simply egregious.

2 Likes

As snowden would say : "Why do you care about privacy if you have nothing to hide," is the same as "Why care about free speech, if you have nothing to say?"

Humans are naturally curious, no matter what level of society or management you're at. If someone wants to psycho-analyze you at the highest levels of government, then they can do that. In fact, there's a story that just broke, about Erin Andrews, the girl suing marriot for not protecting her identity, and putting a stalker in the next hotel room (whom has a peephole). The video of her naked was put all over the internet and the CEO's started passing the video around and laughing about it, because she cost them millions.

People are going to do immoral things, and if you give specific people access to your information, it can be scrutinized if you're interesting or appealing enough, and that is not something I want as a potential reality... for ANYONE.

1 Like

So I think that @cam.bankord's suggestions are probably sound.

I would also recommend going with an email provider that respects privacy -- I use posteo.de personally, and I can't argue with the price compared to their features & promises.

I would further recommend implementing full-disk encryption for all of your personal devices. Even further, I'd say, is to stop using the cellular phone services and instead use things like VOIP for voice calls and SMS replacers.

1 Like

i used to run my own proxy email server out of my basement, but moving to cali it was to hard to manage the system so far away.

Servers that are physically outside jurisdiction -- preferably in jurisdictions with more protections -- are advisable.

Doing the servers yourself.... difficult, I'd say not really worth it if your primary and only goal is privacy.

Or better yet, you can go with a VPS if you're up to the challenge and set up your own mail server with an SSL key .

https://www.udemy.com/wordpress-the-definitive-course/learn/#/ is such an awesome course on how to set up a private server to store your data, it will show you step by step on how to set it up and secure it with an SSL key, how to set up a mail server, and much more.

very true on full disk encryption, because if they can't get at your data remotely, they will try locally. But the likelihood of them doing so and you not getting in trouble within the military is like none. If they are having to press you on the encryption key then you're in big trouble.

Here's a good proxy service I recommend. I honestly don't use it, because I don't need to... VPN / TOR is more than enough for me, but since you're in a delicate environment, it can't hurt for an extra layer of security.
http://www.proxyrack.com/

Quite right. Layers are the only way you can trust.

1 Like