I bought an old Supermicro server a while ago off ebay. I finally got around to using the damn thing and now it won’t boot with both CPUs in. When I switch it on I get one short beep, then the “Overheat” led turns on and the fans start at FULL BLAST but nothing else happens. No video, no keyboard LED.
I tried removing the BIOS battery and leaving the system unplugged for a few minutes, touching the “CMS reset” pads with a screwdriver, but it didn’t help.
I removed CPU1 and the system booted. But when I put the second CPU in the first slot i’m back to overheat LED on and no video:
Slot 1 | Slot 2 | Result ========================== CPU 1 | CPU 2 | No boot Empty | CPU 2 | OK CPU 2 | Empty | No boot
So it looks like there’s something wrong with the board, but I can’t figure out what. It’s an X7DVL-E. The spec sheet and the manuals are here. The manual says that a solid red “OH” LED means overheat:
But I doubt the system’s actually overheating in half a second. The CPU pins look fine to my non-expert eye (pictures below).
Is there something else I can check? Does anyone know if there’s a way to ignore the overheat POST error?