Supermicro X10SRI-F vs Asus x99-ws/ipmi

Im looking for x99 ipmi motherboard. Which one of those would be better? Supermicro has legendarny quality but Asus seems to targeting more consument needs and maybe it would usefull since it wiil be also gaming machine?

Also im wondering should i take 8 core Xeon or 6core I7 like 6800k. I7 would be better in games but im going to use a bunch of vms (3 proxmox nodes + 4 ceph nodes + some Kubernetes nodes and some other stuff)

So, I haven’t used either of those but I have experienced a Supermicro board with that socket. The main problem for me was the extremely barebones BIOS. Things like fan control are just not a thing, it seemed.

Thanks for your reply and since i had both models i can say you are 100% right, or even 200%.

I will just leave here short summary for others who would consider buy any of them

ASUS X99 WS/IPMI

• PROS
    Too many to list all. This thing is a beast! I has so many features and UEFI settings that you can easily be lost. Also has huuuge OC capabilities with settings and great power section. It just puts to a shame any other mobos i had (like MSI Z97 Gaming 3)

• CONS
    – limited options of FAN control. you can only set AUTO and fixed values. There is no graphs or other ways to set RPM profiles based on actual TMP. Neither in UEFI nor with any Windows software.
    – RAM slots are one of the hardest to work with
    – ipmi requires java 8, newer jre doesnt seem to work. There is no HTML5
    – i had some problems with powering it with Corsair SF600. I mean, when i connected all 6 SSDs and all 5 fans on fan controller + 2 cpu fans it sometimes had trouble with recognise some SSDs. I had to move 2 fans to motherboard. And then it always worked. I didnt have such issues with supermicro.

Supermicro X10SRI-F

• PROS
    – RAM slots much better (soft) than in ASUS motherboard
    – it can use java or HTML5 for IPMI console

• CONS
    – (IMPORTANT!) It has Narrow ILM cooler mounting (94x56mm). So most of SOHO coolers for lga2011/lga2011-3 with SQUARE ILM (80x80mm) wont fit. For example Noctua has only 2 compatible coolers. I will have to make some adapter for my FUMA 2.
    – well, in terms of features this mobo is on the opposite side comparing to ASUS. Its not limited as much as for example HP workstations bios but still it is clearly motherboard for server usage. Power section is basic, I/O options are limited, no m.2 slots and only few usb3.0. UEFI is also not impressive at all. I even dont know if it has XMP profiles for ram. I will hesitate to do any OC with this mobo.

Unfortunately im stuck with Supermicro because two previous ASUS purchases wasnt successfull.

I highly suggest to take a look at manuals before buy to briefly know what those mobos offer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.